light lager

With such a light body, I wonder if the cinnamon, cocoa nibs and vanilla extract would overpower the pilsner and dominate the flavor profile. Also, pitching on top of that yeast cake, some of those flavors would likely be transferred to the maibock.

With such a light body, I wonder if the cinnamon, cocoa nibs and vanilla extract would overpower the pilsner and dominate the flavor profile. Also, pitching on top of that yeast cake, some of those flavors would likely be transferred to the maibock.

ooops. that's from an old recipe that was edit to create this one. will fix that.

The more I think about it....the more those amounts seem about right. Try it out and be sure to let us know how it turned out.

It looks a whole lot like a light American lager to me, corn points it in the general direction of Budweiser.

Why the CaraPils? Would that not be at odds with the rice?
I ask because I'm really curious, not because I think I know something. :)

Why the CaraPils? Would that not be at odds with the rice?
I ask because I'm really curious, not because I think I know something. :)

Honestly it's just because I have seen it in a lot of light lager recipes. At 1/4# I could take it or leave it and it will likely not make a difference. I will consider that. Thanks!

Honestly it's just because I have seen it in a lot of light lager recipes. At 1/4# I could take it or leave it and it will likely not make a difference. I will consider that. Thanks!
Try using CaraFoam instead - I believe it to be less sweet and more like a base malt in that it needs to be mashed. But it can be taken out - my experience with American Light Lagers (limited, for sure) does not involve a lot of head on the beer, it tends to be transient. The cara(x) tend to give the beer a more solid head.

Try using CaraFoam instead - I believe it to be less sweet and more like a base malt in that it needs to be mashed. But it can be taken out - my experience with American Light Lagers (limited, for sure) does not involve a lot of head on the beer, it tends to be transient. The cara(x) tend to give the beer a more solid head.

Thanks. I thought they were basically the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback up to this point. I think I am going to turn and go more for a low OG helles type lager with more pronounced 'new school' hop character instead of something so boring.

Thanks for the feedback up to this point. I think I am going to turn and go more for a low OG helles type lager with more pronounced 'new school' hop character instead of something so boring.
I like that direction better. Why would anyone want to homebrew Bud Light?

Look lovely to Me there is brew as is let me know your expieriences please with that Swiss lager yeast I'm brewing with it atm. Cheers

Agree with Ben...that looks great right now. Love the simplicity and no doubt the Munich will be up for best supporting actor. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Look lovely to Me there is brew as is let me know your expieriences please with that Swiss lager yeast I'm brewing with it atm. Cheers

my normal lagers get a blend of M76/s189 however my favorite singular lager yeast is 189. As mentioned I’m basically using this beer to build up yeast for a maibock. I may add some m76 to that with the s-189

my normal lagers get a blend of M76/s189 however my favorite singular lager yeast is 189. As mentioned I’m basically using this beer to build up yeast for a maibock. I may add some m76 to that with the s-189
Wow interesting I've never thought of blending lager yeast pretty cool.
One thing I've found first spin with s-189 is mid 70s attenuation but that could me the high mash temp and Melanoidin malt. The Yurkel as ive called it tastes pretty clean early on (just kegged) and not much sulphur at all compared to recent s-23.
Cheers

Wow interesting I've never thought of blending lager yeast pretty cool.
One thing I've found first spin with s-189 is mid 70s attenuation but that could me the high mash temp and Melanoidin malt. The Yurkel as ive called it tastes pretty clean early on (just kegged) and not much sulphur at all compared to recent s-23.
Cheers

Should have noted that I normally get attenuation in the upper 70s with s189 and get 80% in my maibock. It’s very clean but works really well with malty styles. When I’m doing a 20L I pitch two packets so usually I do one of s189 and one of m76. East peasy!

Back