Cured my dad's beer allergy...sure my me is forthcoming....

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Dad hadn't been able to drink beer(or so he thought) for almost 20 years, since a bad allergic reaction to an antibiotic....turns out he is allergic to LAGER yeast....I figured it he can eat bread, why would he be allergic to ALE yeast(same species). Took him a bottle of Blonde on Blonde...I guess the Chico strain(US-05) is OK for him any way.

Dad hadn't been able to drink beer(or so he thought) for almost 20 years, since a bad allergic reaction to an antibiotic....turns out he is allergic to LAGER yeast....I figured it he can eat bread, why would he be allergic to ALE yeast(same species). Took him a bottle of Blonde on Blonde...I guess the Chico strain(US-05) is OK for him any way.
You life saver you:D!
Awesome stuff dude

Had he never tried anything other than a lager in all these years? And if drinking industrial beer, I'd be surprised that there'd be a hint of yeast left in the can after all the filtering and pasteurization.
Whatever the cause or cure, it's nice that he can enjoy it now. ;)

Had he never tried anything other than a lager in all these years? And if drinking industrial beer, I'd be surprised that there'd be a hint of yeast left in the can after all the filtering and pasteurization.
Whatever the cause or cure, it's nice that he can enjoy it now. ;)

I'm not sure if it was the yeast itself or something produced by that yeast, I do no the initial reaction was to penicillin.

Pretty sure the only beers he tried were from the big American breweries(he was an Old Style drinker most of his life until the reaction). About a sip and he would break out and his throat would start to swell shut. He didn't try too many(for obvious reasons). Wasn't until I mentioned that their were different species of yeast and he asked me why I couldn't make beer out of bread yeast that it "clicked".

Now he wants to plant a few hops on the farm.

Yeah, I can see why he wouldn't want to be too experimental. :eek:
Glad he's got options now.

Weird, I wouldn't think lager and ale yeasts were that fundamentally different. Glad to know he can drink your beer and lie to you about how it's great even when you're only drinking it out of spite yourself. ;)

Weird, I wouldn't think lager and ale yeasts were that fundamentally different. Glad to know he can drink your beer and lie to you about how it's great even when you're only drinking it out of spite yourself. ;)
Blonde on Blonde is a pretty good beer, I prefer Czech lagers to cream ale, but it is pretty darn drinkable(especially after some cold conditioning).

I'm having the same problem. That's been like this my entire life, and I just figured it was the effect of drinking on you.

I'm having the same problem. That's been like this my entire life, and I just figured it was the effect of drinking on you. My stomach would bloat and turn all the time. My doctor recently diagnosed me with celiac disease. Therefore I've had to completely avoid gluten. Yes, the diet stinks, but now I know how much better I feel without it. The most difficult aspect is when you're out and about and need a Almost all fast food restaurants do not offer gluten-free options. Your only choice is to eat in a proper sit-down restaurant and request that any gluten be removed from your meal.

I agree, I myself adhere to these principles.
Check out my thread on Gluten Free brewing all is not lost:)

Edit not to detract from this thread there are a myriad of reasons some people hit a brick wall when it comes to beer...

I'm having the same problem. That's been like this my entire life, and I just figured it was the effect of drinking on you. My stomach would bloat and turn all the time. My doctor recently diagnosed me with celiac disease. Therefore I've had to completely avoid gluten. Yes, the diet stinks, but now I know how much better I feel without it. The most difficult aspect is when you're out and about and need a Almost all fast food restaurants do not offer gluten-free options. Your only choice is to eat in a proper sit-down restaurant and request that any gluten be removed from your meal.
And hope they actually do it.

Back