brewing with bread?

Ron Reyes (Papa Piggy)

Trial Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever made beer with bread (its a long story)? My question is how would you estimate the contribution to fermentables?

In other words what would a pound of dried bread crumbs add in diastatic power? and or how would i estimate its impact on my OG when making a recipe.

Kvass (a Russian drink) is made with bread.
Maybe you can find something if you google that?

Interesting. I had a reason to look at this question last year and it surprised me. Apparently, 44% of the bread made is never eaten - I find that staggering. These guys at Toast Ale make beer commercially from bread and there's a recipe on their site but you have to subscribe and I'm not about to do that:

https://www.toastale.com/

I think it's a really worthy cause though and wish them nothing but good things. I did get to try the beer as well and found it terrible but that may be more about me and less about the beer to be fair.

Here's brulosophys contribution
http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/26/brus-views-w-chris-colby-on-adventurous-brewing/
Oh hang on that's not it sorry

Nope nope that is it just a lot of write up first.before recipie.

I'd imagine if it was an all bread grist yep you'd need some Amylase enzymes

the brulosophy guy said he was averaging approximately 1.020 (± 0.005) gravity points per pound per gallon (PPG). So how does 1.020 translate into a number can i put in when it calls for ppg? the number for most malts in thesoftware averages around 30 ppg.

An estimate is all im after at this point.

Assuming the Brulosophy guy was talking about 1.020 converted, you can use 20 ppg.

hmm m ok thats good enough im sure and was just what i was going to estimate anyway. Ill let you all know how it comes out.
Onya Ron bit of rye bread should add some character ye got a grist sorted?
Hypothetically speaking If I.brewed a bread beer it'd be a brown ale I'd go 50/50 pale /bread then prop it up with some biscuit/crystal malt and finish with a splash of chocolate. Then hop with some cascade or something subtle.

One thing to be careful of is the salt in the bread. Some can be very salty.

I recently decided to brew a beer with Pan de Agua to celebrate my Puerto Rican Heritage. my mother always had fresh Pan de Agua in the home.... yum anyway I started looking around to see if anyone else had ever brewed with bread and i came upon the Toast website and recipe. I am fascinated by this idea. Instead of using old bread im gonna bake my own Pan de Agua (already baked two loafs last night). And yes Im gonna try and not use any salt. It may make for strange bread but since its going into beer it makes sense.

What I put about 10g in a normal loaf that's around 2% of the dough weight.
A little sodium Chloride can be good:rolleyes: that's why id go something more robust with the beer even a porter.

Something that is renound for a higher mineral content.

Hey I'm guessing the bread yeast (dead now) will provide a little yeast nutrient for you too:).

A little sodium Chloride can be good:rolleyes: that's why id go something more robust with the beer even a porter.

Hey I'm guessing the bread yeast (dead now) will provide a little yeast nutrient for you too:).
I've been known to add salt at packaging to improve the flavor. Key is knowing how much.

Well watching my fav beer/food and now gaming fella tonight what was he to critique a Bread beer!

I must try it again because I very much admire the project, just couldn't get along with the beer last time. I do remember a 'mustiness' that your guy there mentioned but not a great deal else.

They have the lager and a pale at my local co-op, will try and grab a can of each for the weekend.

I am worried about the salt but pretty much all bread has salt in it and the guys at Toast say they replace 30% of the grist with bread. So there has to be several tablespoons worth of salt!?!?

I am worried about the salt but pretty much all bread has salt in it and the guys at Toast say they replace 30% of the grist with bread. So there has to be several tablespoons worth of salt!?!?
With baking what I've found through my sourdough research (this mightnt apply to normal yeasties bread) but the percentage of salt to dough weight is around 2% salt so 1000g of bread within reason would be 20g of salt.

Average batch 4kg grist
@30% 1200g bread and around 24g salt.

That sounds like a lot Ben.

I use 1.5-2 % , but that is baker's percentage, so calculated on the amount of flour.
So, lets take 2%, then you have 1000 gr flour, 600-650 gr water, 20 gram salt
20 gr salt per 1602-1652 gr dough, which equates to 15 gr salt per 1200 gr bread

That sounds like a lot Ben.

I use 1.5-2 % , but that is baker's percentage, so calculated on the amount of flour.
So, lets take 2%, then you have 1000 gr flour, 600-650 gr water, 20 gram salt
20 gr salt per 1602-1652 gr dough, which equates to 15 gr salt per 1200 gr bread
That's at 2% salt
I was using 30% bread grist in a 4kg beer gives you 1200g of bread and at a 2% salt rate in that bread gives you give or take 24g of salt.

Bloody Oath that's a bit :D.
Either lower the bread percentage or maybe use RO water to brew maybe just putting it out there to help OP.

Back