The S word.... Seltzer

Hopfunk

Trial Member
Reaction score
Seems like times are changing pretty rapidly these days in the beer industry. I never thought that it would become normal for craft brewers to start producing seltzer on a regular basis.

What are your opinions on seltzer? Is it ruining the craft beer market? Are home brewers even interested in making it themselves? Have you had success with making seltzer?

I don’t consider it the same category as beer although it is taking up a lot of shelf space in the market. Ready, set, GO!

As an alternative alcoholic beverage, it's cutting into the beer market. Breweries need to keep their sales up, so you can't blame them for including it in their offerings. It appears to be a high profit item when compared to beer, so that makes it even more attractive.

You don't need to look back too far to see many of us feeling the same way about NEIPAs, and look at how popular they have become. Whether you or I like it or not, it's just good business.

They aren't for me, but I can easily see why they would have mass appeal. Probably a bit of a fad, though. Not directly related, but many of us can remember the crazy popularity of wine coolers in the 80's. Bruce Willis pitching Seagram's anyone?? Yikes, not exactly John McClane that!

Anyway, I agree with Bob's main point about seltzers as it relates to beer drinkers:
This isn't personal. It's strictly business.

I don't mind them. Somewhere here I posted up a recipe and I still think about making a batch. I guess the most simple way is water, vodka and choice of flavor in a keg and force carb.

I don't mind them. Somewhere here I posted up a recipe and I still think about making a batch. I guess the most simple way is water, vodka and choice of flavor in a keg and force carb.
A keg of Vodka and Club. Cut up a few limes and toss em in. That's brilliant.

It's very easy to make, sugar, water, yeast nutrient, yeast and flavor.

Whilst I really don't like to display my ignorance...

Could somebody please explain what a seltzer is? A relatively unfamiliar term over here just yet.

Could somebody please explain what a seltzer is? A relatively unfamiliar term over here just yet.
Ive no Ideah myself im guessing its like a flavoured vodka drink like the one the ladies order when your out on the town cus they dont like beer or taste of alcohol exuse my ignorance :rolleyes:.

It's a Language thing

Basically seltzer is just carbonated water. Kinda like club soda but without anything else added.
The hard seltzers are just alcoholic and flavored versions.
I guess it's like a wine cooler or spritzer or a zima if you have that over there

Basically seltzer is just carbonated water. Kinda like club soda but without anything else added.
The hard seltzers are just alcoholic and flavored versions.
I guess it's like a wine cooler or spritzer or a zima if you have that over there
Pretty much, but most are really low calories and not big and sweet like a wine cooler. If you like seltzer water with flavor 'essence' you might enjoy hard seltzer as well.
I was turned on to them last yr at a stout festival, and they fit in very nice as a palate cleanser/refresher!
It's very easy to make, sugar, water, yeast nutrient, yeast and flavor.
One would think, but turns out that it's not that easy. From my research, the easiest and what seems to be the tastiest, is the method I posted above. What I have gathered, making a good seltzer from 'scratch' isn't that easy.

Here what was at my local beer distributor this morning.

113FB1F9-5C28-4D66-B775-19F951566B3F.jpeg

Here’s the brew sheet from Northern Brewer for one of their new Seltzer kit offerings. Doesn’t have a lot of ingredients and looks pretty simple to brew as a kit or easy enough to replicate.

623EF481-3C3D-48EB-B645-53CB114234F9.png

1010DF1F-6E8C-4972-B4D6-0F2FAA9437D2.png
A5F15AE1-F6A6-486C-8E3A-F5E98B8D279B.png

Search it on site Steve....the topic has been showing up on here in different threads. I'm with jmcnamera.....it's this years' Zima or Angry Orchard Cider for folks looking for a different alcohol delivery method. Fizzy water with a little sweet and a lotta kick! It was last year's and probably will be this year, the beverage that will eat away the most at beer sales.

Like what Mase posted earlier, one of the local liquor stores I stop into had a floor to top shelf section about 3 feet wide of tepid White Claw and fair size bit of their cooler stocked with it and they are getting the new one from Bud in the store next week to follow on with their ad campaign they have started with a "fictional town" of Seltzerville or Seltzerburg here in Pennsylvania. Hmmm....I wonder if they will sink some Super Bowl bucks to push it next month?

Search it on site Steve....the topic has been showing up on here in different threads. I'm with jmcnamera.....it's this years' Zima or Angry Orchard Cider for folks looking for a different alcohol delivery method. Fizzy water with a little sweet and a lotta kick! It was last year's and probably will be this year, the beverage that will eat away the most at beer sales.

Like what Mase posted earlier, one of the local liquor stores I stop into had a floor to top shelf section about 3 feet wide of tepid White Claw and fair size bit of their cooler stocked with it and they are getting the new one from Bud in the store next week to follow on with their ad campaign they have started with a "fictional town" of Seltzerville or Seltzerburg here in Pennsylvania. Hmmm....I wonder if they will sink some Super Bowl bucks to push it next month?

The folks at Yeungling just down the road from the actual town of Seltzer, put up a “Get off my Lawn” tweet in response to Budweiser’s new Seltzer exploiting the PA town of Seltzer

Back