Observations on Cluster Hops

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Well for the six moths that I have been brewing, I have put varying amounts of Cluster in pretty much everything. Here is what I've found.

1. If I don't overdo it, I get a nice clean bitterness in less malt driven(is that a thing?) beers.

2. If I do hit it too hard, particularly at first boil, I can get quite pungent, harsh tasting beer.

3. I REALLY like how it works with Kazbek(Particularly in a darker beer with lower IBUs),

4 . It just plain works with Cascade and Mandarina at ipa(ish) levels.

Just some random thoughts, when I break in my new Digiboil(bought myself a birthday present), it will be with an all Cluster Cream Ale(brewed with lager yeast)...

WHat do you guys(or gals) think? I'm still pretty new to this stuff, what else does it work well with? I really like the smell of it.

With a good cream ale all is balanced. Keep IBU aroundd 10 to 15 you should be good. If you want a hint of a dif hop it could be cascade, citra, or any german noble hop in whirlpool or end of boil. Depending where you want to go with it. Just so nothing stands above the rest. Mash at lower end helps to keep it clean and crisp.

when I break in my new Digiboil(bought myself a birthday present), it will be with an all Cluster Cream Ale(brewed with lager yeast)...
My Cream Ale recipe is super simple: 80% Pilsner, 20% Corn, Cluster at 60 and 0 and Saaz at 40 and 20 with about 3/4ths of the IBUS in the 60 minute addition. I've done it with lager yeast and a blend of lager and ale yeast. Great beer every time. :)

My Cream Ale recipe is super simple: 80% Pilsner, 20% Corn, Cluster at 60 and 0 and Saaz at 40 and 20 with about 3/4ths of the IBUS in the 60 minute addition. I've done it with lager yeast and a blend of lager and ale yeast. Great beer every time. :)

Bet it's good, what I'm looking at doing is pretty much the same grain bill with just under 15 IBUs of Cluster, 60%(of IBUs) at 60, 40% at 15.

Well for the six moths that I have been brewing, I have put varying amounts of Cluster in pretty much everything. Here is what I've found.

1. If I don't overdo it, I get a nice clean bitterness in less malt driven(is that a thing?) beers.

2. If I do hit it too hard, particularly at first boil, I can get quite pungent, harsh tasting beer.

3. I REALLY like how it works with Kazbek(Particularly in a darker beer with lower IBUs),

4 . It just plain works with Cascade and Mandarina at ipa(ish) levels.

Just some random thoughts, when I break in my new Digiboil(bought myself a birthday present), it will be with an all Cluster Cream Ale(brewed with lager yeast)...

WHat do you guys(or gals) think? I'm still pretty new to this stuff, what else does it work well with? I really like the smell of it.

I've mostly used only Cluster in my Pre Prohibition Lagers and they do a great job. Have used for later boil additions in APAs, IPAs, Blondes and Cream Ales as well. The do go well with Cascade, as well as other popular C hops. And ----------- I keep forgetting about the unopened pound that's aging in my freezer :)

Back