First of the Year Beer

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-bee...t-behind-dozens-of-medal-winning-coffee-beers

I'm not an "American" Stout expert, but the recipe looks fine. (Looks like a Stout IPA!).

But the link above has some interesting info with regards to handling coffee.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

I have tried several ways of getting coffee into my stout
regular brew -pre/post fermentation
cold brew - same as above
all sorts of grinds in the boil

for me everyone had some sort of issue for me.
I read a blog post a few years back where the brewer mashed the coffee and when I tried it, and it gives me the right profile for how I want it to taste in my beer.

T

If there's one thing I learned in this hobby is that there is usually more than one right answer. If it works for you, keep at it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

When you mash the coffee, how are you handling it?

I use fresh roasted coffee, I need to find a new local roaster but that will not be to hard, anyway, i coarse grind it and put it in a paint strainer bag and drop it in the mash with the grains. The lower temp (150-ish) as opposed to the near 200 for french press coffeekeeps it from getting too bitter

T

Have you tried coffee malt instead of real coffee?

I have added fresh ground coffee to fermenter with good results.

I also do a mash with coffee on a few of my beers. I just crack the beans with a rolling pin and add them to the grains. I find it gives a really subtle coffee flavour on it's own (that's different from the darker malts quoting coffee flavours).

Recently I'm spoiling that subtlety by steeping whole beans for 1-2 days just before packaging. The other approaches give coffee flavour but I've found the steeping great for aroma.

On the recipe, maybe have something on hand to bring the pH back up if it's too low. Starting to appreciate a finshed beer pH around 5.5-5.6 for the beers with a few roasted malts in them. Or once it's finished try a tiny bit of baking soda in a glass to see if it works better with a higher pH.

Back