Overshot gravity, is this an acceptable way to adjust.

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My mash time ran long on the Dirty Bohemian today, wound up with a final gravity of 1.063 instead of 1.055. Took another sparge on the mash with 1.5 gallons, boiled, cooled. Used 2 quarts for a starter and poured the remaining 3 quarts into frementor, brought gravity down to 1.058. Seems to have worked, but should I have added hops to the 2nd boil?

Its probably better than diluting with plain pre boiled water. Your bitterness will be down for expected from higher boil gravity and dilution. Gee that's a fair discrepancy there builin especially on a rebrew?

Its probably better than diluting with plain pre boiled water. Your bitterness will be down for expected from higher boil gravity and dilution. Gee that's a fair discrepancy there builin especially on a rebrew?

I was a couple points over last time too and should have made a bigger adjustment, missed my mash temp and basically wound up with a step mash. possible a touch more boil off too. Combination of things really.

I was a couple points over last time too and should have made a bigger adjustment, missed my mash temp and basically wound up with a step mash. possible a touch more boil off too. Combination of things really.
You might be getting better efficiencies then too well you know for next brew to adjust your grain bill down a smidge.

You might be getting better efficiencies then too well you know for next brew to adjust your grain bill down a smidge.
That's what I'm thinking, well on the lighter side, made a starer for this because I only had 1 pack of diamond lager yeast. The fermenter is making happy bubbles right now. And just for the hecll of it, I poured the other 2 quarts of unhopped wort into the empty starter bottle(with just a dribble left in it) and that is rocking right along too!!! I'll get 16 gallons of beer from 1 pack of yeast....maybe more.

That's what I'm thinking, well on the lighter side, made a starer for this because I only had 1 pack of diamond lager yeast. The fermenter is making happy bubbles right now. And just for the hecll of it, I poured the other 2 quarts of unhopped wort into the empty starter bottle(with just a dribble left in it) and that is rocking right along too!!! I'll get 16 gallons of beer from 1 pack of yeast....maybe more.
Nothing like a batch of beer made with some fresh healthy yeast raring to go

Perfectly valid in my opinion, but I also wouldn't bother as I just live with whatever I get when the boil ends.

Back