WP_20150601_001.jpg
WP_20150601_002.jpg
WP_20160518_002.jpg
WP_20170808_12_15_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20170808_12_16_04_Pro.jpg
WP_20170808_12_16_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20171021_13_48_06_Pro.jpg
WP_20171021_13_48_20_Pro.jpg

yep, the last 2 years I've pulled 50 softball size tomatoes off and made into fresh sauce then froze

I have 5 different varieties of tomatoes, tomatillos, 5 different varieties of peppers, snow peas, radishes and beets this year. Add to that 2 kinds of basil, rosemary, sage, parsley, cilantro, chives, lettuce and spinach the wife grows year round. Looks like a great pear crop this year as well. we're ramping our gardening and canning down as we get older, but still enjoy anything home grown.

Got a wide mouth jar adapter for the FoodSaver and going to quart Mason jars for hop storage, so will likely be buying some more jars for canning. We dehydrate too, so vacuum storing some of that in jars works too. Pretty reasonable compared to the price of vacuum storage bags.

I have 5 different varieties of tomatoes, tomatillos, 5 different varieties of peppers, snow peas, radishes and beets this year. Add to that 2 kinds of basil, rosemary, sage, parsley, cilantro, chives, lettuce and spinach the wife grows year round. Looks like a great pear crop this year as well. we're ramping our gardening and canning down as we get older, but still enjoy anything home grown.

Got a wide mouth jar adapter for the FoodSaver and going to quart Mason jars for hop storage, so will likely be buying some more jars for canning. We dehydrate too, so vacuum storing some of that in jars works too. Pretty reasonable compared to the price of vacuum storage bags.

I've got a food saver with a mason jar attachment. I've used it to vacuum seal opened hops but never my loose dried hops. I have been somewhat disappointed with storage in expensive vacuum bags. Stems frequently poke holes in the bags and sometimes I don't notice till they've been in the freezer for awhile. Or it just happens over time. Have you stuffed hop cones in jars before? I'm a canner so I always have jars. Just curious how many oz you could fit in qrt jars and why I haven't ever considered it? I'd guess you could get several oz into one jar. Might have to do some testing!

You can fit 32 ounces of hops in a quart jar. Perverse English measurements, an ounce is both a unit of volume - 32 of them to a quart - and weight. I'm sure you're interested in the "by weight" measurement, in which case I'd guess about four.

I've got a food saver with a mason jar attachment. I've used it to vacuum seal opened hops but never my loose dried hops. I have been somewhat disappointed with storage in expensive vacuum bags. Stems frequently poke holes in the bags and sometimes I don't notice till they've been in the freezer for awhile. Or it just happens over time. Have you stuffed hop cones in jars before? I'm a canner so I always have jars. Just curious how many oz you could fit in qrt jars and why I haven't ever considered it? I'd guess you could get several oz into one jar. Might have to do some testing!
\

Never tried whole cones in jars. No reason you couldn't except you wouldn't fit a bunch in a qt.

Tomatoes and Ancho Chiles.jpg
As a rule, around here you don't plant summer crops until after Mothers Day for fear of a hard frost. Gambled a bit this year and got a 2 week head start. Here are some pics of what it's looking like today:

Attachments

• Assorted peppers.jpg
    Assorted peppers.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Beets.jpg
    Beets.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Early Girl Tomato.jpg
    Early Girl Tomato.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Snow Peas.jpg
    Snow Peas.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Tomatillos.jpg
    Tomatillos.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 217
Thought this would best slot in this gardening thread.
A lesson ive learned twice now but idiot me learns slow is DONT POUR YOUR SLURRY ONTO YOUR TOMATOES IT WILL KILL THEM!
20191217_155224.jpg

I cleaned out two batches of recently transferred beer onto this here tomatoe look at the leaves it ain't happy Jan!
Dam it I've got some gorgeous perfect tomatoes off this rougue plant that just shot up all on its own.

So thought I'd share this with my gardening brewing friends.
Pour it on the compost heap instead. Cheers!

Thought this would best slot in this gardening thread.
A lesson ive learned twice now but idiot me learns slow is DONT POUR YOUR SLURRY ONTO YOUR TOMATOES IT WILL KILL THEM!
View attachment 8222
I cleaned out two batches of recently transferred beer onto this here tomatoe look at the leaves it ain't happy Jan!
Dam it I've got some gorgeous perfect tomatoes off this rougue plant that just shot up all on its own.

So thought I'd share this with my gardening brewing friends.
Pour it on the compost heap instead. Cheers!

Flood the hell out of the plant to dilute the slurry. Scatter 1/4 cup of Epsom salt at the base of the plant while flooding. Many gardeners don't know it, but magnesium is deficient in almost all soils. I've found that Epsom salt is a great addition to plant nutrients and also works well to help ailing plants. Not sure it'll help in this case, but worth a try.

Flood the hell out of the plant to dilute the slurry. Scatter 1/4 cup of Epsom salt at the base of the plant while flooding. Many gardeners don't know it, but magnesium is deficient in almost all soils. I've found that Epsom salt is a great addition to plant nutrients and also works well to help ailing plants. Not sure it'll help in this case, but worth a try.
Cheerz bob thanks very much! I thought about giving it a good drink.
That coupled with the crazy heat and bushfires man it's an apocalypys outside:eek:.
Poor tomatoe ha ha beware the hombrew aye?
I'll put your plan into action cheers!.

If not I've got some. ZEBRA GREENS on the go..m fruit fly resistant we will seeo_O.

Never too many homegrown tomatoes.

Here Here Bob! I had the last of my Polish Roma's (Opalka) with Thanksgiving dinner.

Here's a tip for some season end, short term storage...I pull a plant with greenies on it just before the killing frost and hang them, roots up, in the basement where they will ripen up while the vine wilts. I've gone as long a month this way. I have never tried this method with areal juicy variety like a beefsteak or a bigboy but for these paste type heirlooms, it works great and I have a couple of homegrowns out o the table with the Turkey!

Unfortunately we don't have a basement and they'd freeze in either of our sheds. I. pick green tomatoes just before the first hard first and let them ripen inside often using the last ones close to Thanksgiving as well. The first and last ones of the season are most often used in BITs of PLTs. Mmmmmm!

Here Here Bob! I had the last of my Polish Roma's (Opalka) with Thanksgiving dinner.

Here's a tip for some season end, short term storage...I pull a plant with greenies on it just before the killing frost and hang them, roots up, in the basement where they will ripen up while the vine wilts. I've gone as long a month this way. I have never tried this method with areal juicy variety like a beefsteak or a bigboy but for these paste type heirlooms, it works great and I have a couple of homegrowns out o the table with the Turkey!
I’ll have to give this a go next year as we left s
Translation please....google ain;t got no South East to South Central Pennsyltuckey talker changin' thinggie :confused:
Who’s the South Central Pennsyltuckeyan? I’m in South Western Pennsyltuckey!

edit: it’s Ward! Hey neighbor? Whereabouts in South Central, I’m between Latrobe and Ligonier PA.

BLT=bacon, lettuce & tomato.
PLT=pastrami, lettuce & tomato
I thought that was what you meant.... Since I've moved out west, I've discovered the best thing in the world on a BLT (besides bacon) is chipotle mayonnaise!

Well I'll take a leaf out of your book ward and do that with my rogue tomatoe that I've killed pouring my slurry on.
20191222_073834.jpg

While I'm at it here is me seed propagation table/screen. I find the best way for (some) plants is to put the seed trays into a water bath and just water that instead of over top doesnt disturbs fine seed. But beans and corn I've found dont like this method.
20191222_073817.jpg
here is me spinach factory. This styrofoam box is full of composted woodchips down bottom then a three inch layer of potting mix on top. It's full of worms I inoculated for about a month before planting. It gets a worm piss water every other day. Will get another box going soon.
20191222_073802.jpg

Back