UPDATE: Grainfather Equipment Profile dialed in

Bringing this back from the dead lol. I'm setting up to brew my 1st batch with the GF and I'm just not seeing that the numbers the GF app are giving me are jiving very well. Maybe it's just me and being so used to my set up that I've used for years, but there are some numbers that should be a set amount consistent to the GF. Like kettle dead space and the unrecoverable amount in the counterflow chiller. I'm doing my own boil off rate now so I'll have that. I may try plugging in some of your numbers that I feel are pretty much set and a given to the GF as a starting point, and compare to the actual GF app and go from there. I want to do a few batches and compare numbers and nail down my consistency. I'm basically just looking for a better starting block than what GF is giving me. I guess some people are just fine brewing as is, but I need numbers lol and consistency.

I've never put much stock in other people's equipment profiles either. You'll have your own dialed in after a couple of batches, and those batches will likely be very drinkable too.
Just out of curiosity, how much water does it take to reach the bottom of your malt pipe?

I've never put much stock in other people's equipment profiles either. You'll have your own dialed in after a couple of batches, and those batches will likely be very drinkable too.
Just out of curiosity, how much water does it take to reach the bottom of your malt pipe?
I agree. I'm just looking for the profiles that should be standard across the board for the Grainfather. Like kettle dead space. I've got a boil going now, so I can just measure it when I'm done, but yeah, there are some numbers that should be the same since all units are the same.
And as for how much water to reach the bottom of malt pipe, ha. Those are the kind of numbers I'm looking for, as it should all be the same. I'm probably making it way more difficult than it should be.

You're playing it safe, as I did. Who knows what has changed with the numerous updates to the Grainfather? I almost assumed that the Digiboil with the mashing kit would be very like the Mash & Boil. I found that it takes 2 gallons to reach the bottom of the malt pipe, so glad I measured. That's why a asked.

You're playing it safe, as I did. Who knows what has changed with the numerous updates to the Grainfather? I almost assumed that the Digiboil with the mashing kit would be very like the Mash & Boil. I found that it takes 2 gallons to reach the bottom of the malt pipe, so glad I measured. That's why a asked.
Yeah, I think it'll take a few brews to really dial it in. I got my boil rate and kettle dead space, so I can build on that easy enough! Different boil than what I'm used to for sure, and man is it nice having a pump.

Yeah, I think it'll take a few brews to really dial it in. I got my boil rate and kettle dead space, so I can build on that easy enough! Different boil than what I'm used to for sure, and man is it nice having a pump.

Yep, the boil is a lot slower and boil off a lot less. I'm using almost 2 gallons less water for the same size, 5.5 gallon, batch as when I used propane. Definitely a lot more consistent too. I've still got my pump and all the needed plumbing, but really don't need it with this setup. I'm sure you'll be happy with the switch to electric. Even the bare bones system I have is so much easier and produces great results. I do envy the ability to pre heat the strike water and pre set so many other things the GF has but, being retired, I need to fill some time between pints :)

Yep, the boil is a lot slower and boil off a lot less. I'm using almost 2 gallons less water for the same size, 5.5 gallon, batch as when I used propane. Definitely a lot more consistent too. I've still got my pump and all the needed plumbing, but really don't need it with this setup. I'm sure you'll be happy with the switch to electric. Even the bare bones system I have is so much easier and produces great results. I do envy the ability to pre heat the strike water and pre set so many other things the GF has but, being retired, I need to fill some time between pints :)
I was brewing electric before, but using a Hotrod from Brewhardware. It worked very well for me for the most part and I had incredible boils with it. Luckily I have it too because man the GF heats sloooow! I very seriously considered the Anvil Foundry because it has 240 and 120 options on the same unit, but I liked the extra options on the GF. I will use my Hotrod to speed things along. Once I hit a boil, I'll remove it and go!

That would speed things up for sure.

Enjoy your Grainfather brew day thunderwagon looks like things are going to plan. Will be interesting how long it takes the counterflow chiller to chill it down to pitch temp?:)

Enjoy your Grainfather brew day thunderwagon looks like things are going to plan. Will be interesting how long it takes the counterflow chiller to chill it down to pitch temp?:)
I should have timed the transfer today on my test run, but I didn't. I will say I can get it down well below 60 running straight through. Actually close to 50f, so I will have to slow the water down a bit!

For what it's worth, the equipment profile that I posted in this thread was the result of about 25 brew days, across a multitude of styles. Some may not put much stock in other people's profiles, but what is in there certainly wasn't a guess.

Update: I've tweaked my numbers after: A) performing a few more brew sessions and B) doing a boil-off and kettle + chiller deadspace test. The new numbers helpled my session on Saturday be spot on (though a little different than GF's online calculators). Notably, the boil-off rate is now 2qt/hr instead of 1.6, and the kettle deadspace is increased to 2.75 qt to account for what is left over in the counterflow chiller.

Fellow Brewers,

After quite a few brew sessions with my Grainfather, I feel that I have dialed in my equipment profile. My primary goal with the profile was to get the resulting volumes to match up as close as possible with the numbers that come out of Grainfather's own online calculators -- when I used their calculators, my brews came out as expected, when I didn't it was a total crap shoot.

I have yet to find a definitive answer on an equipment profile for the Grainfather as GF doesn't really post a lot of the information necessary, similar profiles in other software are wildly off, and people have different ideas as what they should be (including me!) That said, I have attached a screenshot of my profile settings -- please keep in mind that these work for me and shouldn't be misconstrued as "official" by any means.

Other info:
  • This profile is for the US/110v version
  • I use the qt/(oz|lb) version for the entries rather than the L/(g|kg)
  • I fly sparge
  • My default batch size is 5.5 gal
  • My default boil size is 7.4 gal
As an aside, I do have to say I have grown rather fond of the GF. It is far from perfect, but my brew days have gotten easier and the results more consistent.

Cheers and good luck!

Hi,

I see in the user guide for the GF the Mash Tun calculation shows 0.9 gallons of dead space, I assume this is the volume of water below the screen and around the sides. Did you use that anywhere in your setup? and does the volume of water without this addition cover the grain bed?

Thank you.

Hi,

I see in the user guide for the GF the Mash Tun calculation shows 0.9 gallons of dead space, I assume this is the volume of water below the screen and around the sides. Did you use that anywhere in your setup? and does the volume of water without this addition cover the grain bed?

Thank you.

I did a fake batch with water to set up parts of my equipment profile that are specific to me, like elevation and boil off rate. I also compared the numbers I got for things like kettle deadspace and the like with @lonelymtn profile numbers and found his general settings to be inline with what I came up with. There will be numbers that you have to come up with on your own, but the profile here is an excellent start.

I did a fake batch with water to set up parts of my equipment profile that are specific to me, like elevation and boil off rate. I also compared the numbers I got for things like kettle deadspace and the like with @lonelymtn profile numbers and found his general settings to be inline with what I came up with. There will be numbers that you have to come up with on your own, but the profile here is an excellent start.

I never understood where they got .9 gal as the dead space number. I did the same thing as @thunderwagn -- used water. I hooked up all the hoses, through the chiller, like I would be pumping out at the end of the boil. Once the pump started sucking air, I stopped it and then measured everything left. 2 qt in the bottom of the kettle below the outlet, plus .75 qt in the hoses and chiller.

Back