UPDATE: Grainfather Equipment Profile dialed in

lonelymtn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Update: I've tweaked my numbers after: A) performing a few more brew sessions and B) doing a boil-off and kettle + chiller deadspace test. The new numbers helpled my session on Saturday be spot on (though a little different than GF's online calculators). Notably, the boil-off rate is now 2qt/hr instead of 1.6, and the kettle deadspace is increased to 2.75 qt to account for what is left over in the counterflow chiller.

Fellow Brewers,

After quite a few brew sessions with my Grainfather, I feel that I have dialed in my equipment profile. My primary goal with the profile was to get the resulting volumes to match up as close as possible with the numbers that come out of Grainfather's own online calculators -- when I used their calculators, my brews came out as expected, when I didn't it was a total crap shoot.

I have yet to find a definitive answer on an equipment profile for the Grainfather as GF doesn't really post a lot of the information necessary, similar profiles in other software are wildly off, and people have different ideas as what they should be (including me!) That said, I have attached a screenshot of my profile settings -- please keep in mind that these work for me and shouldn't be misconstrued as "official" by any means.

Other info:
  • This profile is for the US/110v version
  • I use the qt/(oz|lb) version for the entries rather than the L/(g|kg)
  • I fly sparge
  • My default batch size is 5.5 gal
  • My default boil size is 7.4 gal
As an aside, I do have to say I have grown rather fond of the GF. It is far from perfect, but my brew days have gotten easier and the results more consistent.

Cheers and good luck!

Attachments

• gf_equipment_profile.png
    gf_equipment_profile.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 3,129
Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I've been struggling to get these numbers and this will help. I have the US/110v system as well on my last session I had a boil off of 4.4 quarts in a 60 minute boil. I have a Reflectix jacket on the GF for insulation. Based on your calculations you are only boiling off 1.6 quarts in an hour? I'm trying to understand the huge difference. I'm only at 100 feet above sea level, so that shouldn't factor into it.

Thanks for the information. I've been struggling to get these numbers and this will help. I have the US/110v system as well on my last session I had a boil off of 4.4 quarts in a 60 minute boil. I have a Reflectix jacket on the GF for insulation. Based on your calculations you are only boiling off 1.6 quarts in an hour? I'm trying to understand the huge difference. I'm only at 100 feet above sea level, so that shouldn't factor into it.
Hi gskbrew,

The 1.6 qt/hr number comes straight from the Grainfather FAQ and is in line with what I have personally seen. I don't have a reflextix jacket, but I do have the GrainCoat.

I have the 240 volt version in Oz. Will these numbers correspond d'ya reckon?
I'm still a grain noob weeks from trying my first batch and figuring out what all that stuff means exactly so cant experiment for myself yet.
Can I plug and play your numbers?

lonelymtn, Thanks for the numbers.
I am just going to all grain after doing 3 yrs of extract and speciality grains brewing. I am going to be doing my first all grain brew, and using a my grainfather. Your numbers will will help greatly in getting dialed in and having a successful brew day(s).

Next on my list is figuring out how to get recipes programed into the "connect" controller.

lonelymtn - are these numbers still accurate for you?

Update: I've tweaked my numbers after: A) performing a few more brew sessions and B) doing a boil-off and kettle + chiller deadspace test. The new numbers helpled my session on Saturday be spot on (though a little different than GF's online calculators). Notably, the boil-off rate is now 2qt/hr instead of 1.6, and the kettle deadspace is increased to 2.75 qt to account for what is left over in the counterflow chiller.

Fellow Brewers,

After quite a few brew sessions with my Grainfather, I feel that I have dialed in my equipment profile. My primary goal with the profile was to get the resulting volumes to match up as close as possible with the numbers that come out of Grainfather's own online calculators -- when I used their calculators, my brews came out as expected, when I didn't it was a total crap shoot.

I have yet to find a definitive answer on an equipment profile for the Grainfather as GF doesn't really post a lot of the information necessary, similar profiles in other software are wildly off, and people have different ideas as what they should be (including me!) That said, I have attached a screenshot of my profile settings -- please keep in mind that these work for me and shouldn't be misconstrued as "official" by any means.

Other info:
  • This profile is for the US/110v version
  • I use the qt/(oz|lb) version for the entries rather than the L/(g|kg)
  • I fly sparge
  • My default batch size is 5.5 gal
  • My default boil size is 7.4 gal
As an aside, I do have to say I have grown rather fond of the GF. It is far from perfect, but my brew days have gotten easier and the results more consistent.

Cheers and good luck!

I have the 240 volt version in Oz. Will these numbers correspond d'ya reckon?
I'm still a grain noob weeks from trying my first batch and figuring out what all that stuff means exactly so cant experiment for myself yet.
Can I plug and play your numbers?

Just use the recipe designer and calculators on the Grainfather site. I've just done my first brew on mine and pretty much hit all the numbers spot on.

If you are on 240v, the only number that would be different would be boil-off rate. You could go a bit higher than the 2qt/hr that I have in my profile.

If you are on 240v, the only number that would be different would be boil-off rate. You could go a bit higher than the 2qt/hr that I have in my profile.
Not much different, I lost 2 litres with a 60 minute boil.

Not much different, I lost 2 litres with a 60 minute boil.
In the brewersfriend recipe creator. My boils size is 26l. What must I enter for batch size for 60min boil? And should this be kettle. I presume with 2l boil off my kettle batch should then be 24l? i have 240V system.

you pick kettle if you leave some trub and hops in the bottom of the boil kettle you pick fermenter if you dump it all in the fermenter from the boil kettle

In the brewersfriend recipe creator. My boils size is 26l. What must I enter for batch size for 60min boil? And should this be kettle. I presume with 2l boil off my kettle batch should then be 24l? i have 240V system.
I use the recipe creator on the Grainfather site and do 23 L batches with a boil volume of 28 L, there's a calculator there that works out your mash and sparge water that I've found to be accurate. I also use Beersmith and Brewers friend but find the Grainfather easier and you can also put the recipe into the controller via bluetooth with a smartphone. I'm no expert though as I've only done two brews.
Read lonelymtn's post above he seems to have nailed it.

After many more brews I am consistently seeing something closer to 1.5-2 quarts/hour boil off rate.

What mash and brewhouse efficiency are you guys getting that are brewing on a 110v system with these profile numbers?

I typically get 58-62% brewhouse efficiency and I think I should be much higher, preferably 70-75%. I think my issue is related to my grain crush and mash procedures. What crush size and mash process is everyone following?

What mash and brewhouse efficiency are you guys getting that are brewing on a 110v system with these profile numbers?

I typically get 58-62% brewhouse efficiency and I think I should be much higher, preferably 70-75%. I think my issue is related to my grain crush and mash procedures. What crush size and mash process is everyone following?

I am getting 70% pretty much every time. It did take tweaking my crush to get things dialed in.

After many more brews I am consistently seeing something closer to 1.5-2 quarts/hour boil off rate.

Yes, I have since tweaked mine to go back to the original 1.6 qt/hr as the manufacturer suggested.

Consistency is a way more useful aspect than efficiency in my opinion.

Back