How Long?

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I brewed this one on the 1st October and racked it a week later, it was a rush because I was going away so had to get it into kegs and bottles.

The bottles were a bit disappointing, a bit tart and sharp, but I drunk them and they were ok. Just not brilliant.

I just drew a pint from the keg though and it's amazing. It's hazy, a bit earthy and zingy on the nose, and super juicy/citrusy. I'm a bit gobsmacked.

How long do you give them to be at their best?

I'm usually aiming for 4 weeks but have some that are great in a week and some that want a month. Any thoughts on what's a good time for any particular style?

Attachments

• 20191213_195450.jpg
    20191213_195450.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 154
Wheat beers are usually best young. Same with IPA, but can be helped with a week or two age depending on how strong it is. Stouts or other dark beers and anything really high abv. Can take some time. Barley wine or imperial stout can take months. Lagers get better with several weeks of cold storage. It comes down to what kind of beer it is and your brewing, bottling, and storage methods. But sampling them along the way to find the right time for drinking them is half the fun.

Wheat beers are usually best young. Same with IPA, but can be helped with a week or two age depending on how strong it is. Stouts or other dark beers and anything really high abv. Can take some time. Barley wine or imperial stout can take months. Lagers get better with several weeks of cold storage. It comes down to what kind of beer it is and your brewing, bottling, and storage methods. But sampling them along the way to find the right time for drinking them is half the fun.
And hoping they last several weeks to find out:)

I start tasting after 4 weeks of cold storage in kegs. I find my IPA's are at there best between eight and twelve weeks. Bottling is so time consuming that I have abandoned it completely. I use small kegs or growlers when I want to transport.

I start tasting after 4 weeks of cold storage in kegs. I find my IPA's are at there best between eight and twelve weeks. Bottling is so time consuming that I have abandoned it completely. I use small kegs or growlers when I want to transport.

I think that 8-12 week period is right now for some of my hoppy beers, the extra time is worth it.

I'm finding the malty and more traditional beers with the low alpha hops are good to go much sooner.

Bottling is a faff for sure but I like the convenience of small pack sometimes and, also, bottles have been ideal for the small batch of cider.

Worth fiddling around with sometimes. I must try growlers soon though.

Back