Campden tablets

Toze

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am making the transition from kits to AG BIAB. I intend to use treated tap water.

Perhaps a silly question, but are all Campden tablets the same size? I keep reading that i should put half a tablet for 5 gallons. The tablets i have purchased are tiny and it got me thinking that the ones i purchased are smaller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul (Toze)

Don't know if all Campden tablets are the same size. Mine are from LD Carlson and roughly the size of an aspirin.

Hi all!

I am making the transition from kits to AG BIAB. I intend to use treated tap water.

Perhaps a silly question, but are all Campden tablets the same size? I keep reading that i should put half a tablet for 5 gallons. The tablets i have purchased are tiny and it got me thinking that the ones i purchased are smaller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul (Toze)

You can assume they are. There's variation but each will dechlorinate 20 gallons of water.

I find they done dissolve to well if you just pop em (even overnight) in whole. I usually crush them up with the back of the mash spoon.

I've never seen ones a different size, they all kind of look to be about the size of one of those mints you can get in a tin.

I've never seen ones a different size, they all kind of look to be about the size of one of those mints you can get in a tin.
Only they taste differenter:D:D!

Never tasted one but gee wizz recon it'd dechlorinate me tooo ..... from both ends lol :p:p

This is my concern because they are indeed small but instructions say half a tab for 5 gallons:/

I'd follow the instructions on the label dude:). Chemical manufacturers ain't gunna squew the dosage rates of their own tried and tested product only to have the customer be unhappy with their product with unsatisfactory results t.

This is my concern because they are indeed small but instructions say half a tab for 5 gallons:/
Gents, they work. No chlorophenols since I started using them. I found a reference that tells me even a Campden tab in 20 gal is a bit more than needed but don't worry about the overdose, you get a trivial addition of chloride and sulfate, plus the potassium or sodium, whichever metabisulfite it is.

Thought I would tack onto this thread with a question

Are campden tablets effective with chloramine as well as chlorine?

Great, thanks

What's the difference between campden tablets and sodium metabisulphate powder?

Same chemical makeup.

What's the difference between campden tablets and sodium metabisulphate powder?
One's a tablet, one's a powder. Campden, if I remember correctly, can be either sodium or potassium metabisulfite.

Back