Whiskey, Bourbon, and Other Fine Spirits!

My bestest daughter bought me a bottle of bourbon I've been waiting for for months to come out!
IMG_20191025_171652.jpg

Daughter and Hubby are whiskey drinkers - we got them a quart from Peach Street Distillers in Palisade, CO. Both said they like it. She's an Angel's Envy girl, don't know what that says about her taste in whiskey....

Daughter and Hubby are whiskey drinkers - we got them a quart from Peach Street Distillers in Palisade, CO. Both said they like it. She's an Angel's Envy girl, don't know what that says about her taste in whiskey....

Says she has good taste!
I've got a buddy who really likes Peach Street and has a special bottle (aren't they all lol) he's hanging on to till... We don't get up that way as much since our daughter has transferred to UNC in Greeley, and I sure as heck don't miss her or us making that drive! Next time we're up there though, I'm hitting the distillery for sure.

Says she has good taste!
I've got a buddy who really likes Peach Street and has a special bottle (aren't they all lol) he's hanging on to till... We don't get up that way as much since our daughter has transferred to UNC in Greeley, and I sure as heck don't miss her or us making that drive! Next time we're up there though, I'm hitting the distillery for sure.
Can get Peach Street at Lukas Liquors in Lone Tree. At least the special batch.

The Cardhu 12 rear old is a Speyside Region Scotch. Picked this one up at the duty free on the way down to Nashville last weekend. Typically at the duty free you get a bigger bottle (1 litre vs. 750ml), at a lower price. The word "Cardhu" derives from the Scots Gaelic Carn Dubh, meaning "Black Rock". Especially nice with a dark beer.
20191026_233948.jpg

20191116_205312.jpg
This is one of my favorite threads...two of my favorite things, beer, whiskey, and well, beer and whiskey...
The Oban is a West Highland Scotch, the distillery was established in 1794, it was built before the town of the same name, which sprung up later in the surrounding craggy harbour.
The beer is a Porter, Lecker Schmecker, brewed by Jackass here in Cambridge, Ontario

By the way my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs are getting their asses handed to them tonight against the Crosbyless Pittsburgh Penguins, might need a couple Oban's before the night is done:(

We hit up the local distillery today to check our barrel.
IMG_20191116_192042_01.jpg

Pulled 10ml. Cask strength on left and proofed down on right.
IMG_20191116_142818.jpg

Still way to early. The oaky taste is there but green and very unbalanced. Needs another 2-3 months easy.
IMG_20191116_191922_01.jpg

Finished off the day with nice Old Fashioned.

Somehow this misses the mark. Maybe too sweet? Not sure, but definitely a sipper! Finishes nicely with the rye. Probably would not buy again even with the discount I got.
IMG_20191127_173247.jpg

Somehow this misses the mark. Maybe too sweet? Not sure, but definitely a sipper! Finishes nicely with the rye. Probably would not buy again even with the discount I got.
View attachment 8048
Yeah, they make this 40 Creek out to be a premium whiskey (just marketing). It is worthy of mixing with coke, or Pepsi, or whatever your mix is, but it isn't sippable at all. Far too sweet for my liking.

I don't have any bourbon at all in my collection, aside from scotch, a couple of irish, and JD. If I were to spend on a fine bourbon, what should I go with? Our local liquor outlet has several, if not tens of bourbons.

I don't have any bourbon at all in my collection, aside from scotch, a couple of irish, and JD. If I were to spend on a fine bourbon, what should I go with? Our local liquor outlet has several, if not tens of bourbons.
Go buy yourself some Wild Turkey 101 and sip.

I really like JD. It tastes just like banana nut bread to me.

Good question. Depends on what taste appeals to you. Sweet vs sour and light oak vs dark. When you go out to a nice bar ask for a shot on ice of their favorite/popular bourbon.

Back