Adding apple juice to inventory

Reaction score
Hi,

I am brewing some cider and as there is no current fermentable entry for apple juice I am trying to figure out how to go about this. I have added apple juice to my inventory, but was confused about what to put in for ppg - in the end I found I could not enter a ppg value directly but by changing the % efficiency I could get a value of around 42, which is what I believe I need. When I then go to the recipe there is no ability to add ingredients as a volume of liquid. I therefore tried to addd as the weight of the apple juice, and the recipe then comes up with some outrageous OG. How should I go about adding fruit juice to a recipe? And should I be able to directly enter ppg for an ingredient?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am brewing some cider and as there is no current fermentable entry for apple juice I am trying to figure out how to go about this. I have added apple juice to my inventory, but was confused about what to put in for ppg - in the end I found I could not enter a ppg value directly but by changing the % efficiency I could get a value of around 42, which is what I believe I need. When I then go to the recipe there is no ability to add ingredients as a volume of liquid. I therefore tried to addd as the weight of the apple juice, and the recipe then comes up with some outrageous OG. How should I go about adding fruit juice to a recipe? And should I be able to directly enter ppg for an ingredient?

Thanks in advance.
You could enter it as a custom fermentable. You can take a gravity reading on the juice itself, the SRM is effectively 0. Problem is efficiency - apple juice generally ferments out to apparent FG of less than 1.000.

I would enter it as a custom fermentable. You'll need to take a gravity reading as well, it's generally around 1.055 per gallon.

Since SG refers to the density of a liquid, with respect to water, you can convert volume to lbs and sg to ppg with the following two formulas.

Weight = 8.34 * V * SG, where V is the volume in gallons, and SG is the gravity reading.

eg 44 lbs = 8.34 * 5 * 1.055.

Similarly, the PPG conversion is.

PPG = (SG - 1)*1000 * weight / V.

eg

6.251 = (1.055 - 1) * 1000 * 44 / 5.

You can see in the example recipe below that the math checks out in the recipe editor as well.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/914879/cider-test

I would enter it as a custom fermentable. You'll need to take a gravity reading as well, it's generally around 1.055 per gallon.

Since SG refers to the density of a liquid, with respect to water, you can convert volume to lbs and sg to ppg with the following two formulas.

Weight = 8.34 * V * SG, where V is the volume in gallons, and SG is the gravity reading.

eg

You can see in the example recipe below that the math checks out in the recipe editor as well.

OK, great thanks. I use a Tilt so I have the OG reading, so I'll run the numbers and see if that straighten things out.

Thanks again!

eg

Hi,

I tried to use the formula for PPG. My OG os 1.044. My calculated weight came out to 43.5. Therefore I think that would give PPG as follows:

PPG = (1.044 - 1)*1000*43.5/5 = 0.044*1000*43.5/5 = 382.8

This seems way too high - what am I doing wrong?

Sorry, flipped those last two variables on my sheet.

PPG = (SG - 1)*1000 * V/ Weight.

eg

5.0574... = (1.044 - 1) * 1000 * 5 / 43.5

OK, so now things worked out correctly in the base recipe once I updated my inventory item for the apple juice based on the above formula.

I had already started a brew session with the old recipe, and I can't figure out whether I can update the session to take the new apple juice figures into account. I don't want to delete and recreate the old session as it has my Tilt logging data in it, and although there seems to be an export option I can't see how to import a Tilt log. Is there a solution here or will I just have to live with the incorrect target figures for this session?

Thanks,

Guy

OK, so now things worked out correctly in the base recipe once I updated my inventory item for the apple juice based on the above formula.

I had already started a brew session with the old recipe, and I can't figure out whether I can update the session to take the new apple juice figures into account. I don't want to delete and recreate the old session as it has my Tilt logging data in it, and although there seems to be an export option I can't see how to import a Tilt log. Is there a solution here or will I just have to live with the incorrect target figures for this session?

Thanks,

Guy
On the edit tab there's a button along the lines of "reload brew session". That should update everything, but I have absolutely no idea how it will work with Tilt. @Yooper any insight on the tilt questions?

Tried the refresh brew session option - it preserved the Tilt data but didn’t update the recipe, .e. The apple juice still showed the old PPG value, which is different from the current inventory value,

Thanks,

Guy

Sorry I think I misunderstood.

If you update the ingredient in your inventory, you might need to open the recipe editor and update the ingredient in the recipe, save the updated recipe, then reload the brew session. I think that should be sufficient, but let me know if there's still an issue and I'll try to replicate it on my end.

Back