Fat Bottom Lass

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
The problem with being a little too ADD is that sometimes your schedule gets wonky(technical term). With deer season starting next weekend(9 days long), Rearranged my brewing order, so this one is a ways out. Tried this style a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it, so I figured I'd start working on a recipe for Wee Heavy. Here's what I have so far...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/911470/fat-bottom-lass

In the absence of Scottish Ale yeast, which ferments clean and neutral, I'd recommend US-05, BRY-97 or M42 New World Strong Ale for dry yeast. Outside of that, I like the recipe.

In the absence of Scottish Ale yeast, which ferments clean and neutral, I'd recommend US-05, BRY-97 or M42 New World Strong Ale for dry yeast. Outside of that, I like the recipe.

That's a good idea, I keep some US-05 around, one less thing for the shopping cart.

I don't think I'd use Cluster hops. Scottish ales are not known for hoppy flavors and Cluster will definitely add fruity/catty flavor notes that are foreign to the style. I'd suggest Magnum for bittering or if you're determined to use American hops, I'd stick with Willamette.

I don't think I'd use Cluster hops. Scottish ales are not known for hoppy flavors and Cluster will definitely add fruity/catty flavor notes that are foreign to the style. I'd suggest Magnum for bittering or if you're determined to use American hops, I'd stick with Willamette.
Counterpoint: I like what Cluster does in my Kentucky Common and could see it doing similar things in a bigger, sweeter beer. Magnum will give a subtle woody-herbal flavor used as a boil hops and Willamette is very floral. In the end, it's your beer. I see where JA is going with his recommendation and it isn't wrong, Cluster would be inappropriate in a historically accurate Wee Heavy but what the heck, it's homebrew and your beer.

Reactions: J A
Can't disagree with that thinking. I like Cluster hops quite a lot and wouldn't be angry over finding that flavor in most any beer. When I think of Scottish ale though, I think malty to the point of almost no hop presence.
It's not a bad idea and I may have to do some experimenting. ;)

Can't disagree with that thinking. I like Cluster hops quite a lot and wouldn't be angry over finding that flavor in most any beer. When I think of Scottish ale though, I think malty to the point of almost no hop presence.
It's not a bad idea and I may have to do some experimenting. ;)
Well, I'll be in Austin next month.... :)

Reactions: J A
Allow me to explain the Cluster...I tend to use it like Frank's Red Hot. Just love the way it smells(that may sound weird).
Fair enough! Onward Cluster soldiers! :)
It goes into every "American" lager-style beer that I brew, anyway - Cream Ale, American Pils, Pre-Pro Lager, Pre-Pro Porter. I keep a pound or two in the freezer. ;)

Cluster was the hop that first crossed america! Been around a long time.

I think you are missing out if you don't add a touch, maybe 2 to 4 oz of roast barley to give it the smoked or burnt finish. Peeted malt is often used but incorrect for style. And if available use a Scottish ale yeast. Will finish out cleaner imo. I use fuggles for the earthy flavor full boil, ibus 20-30.
Just suggestions if you are looking for slight tweeks.

Cluster was the hop that first crossed america! Been around a long time.

I think you are missing out if you don't add a touch, maybe 2 to 4 oz of roast barley to give it the smoked or burnt finish. Peeted malt is often used but incorrect for style. And if available use a Scottish ale yeast. Will finish out cleaner imo. I use fuggles for the earthy flavor full boil, ibus 20-30.
Just suggestions if you are looking for slight tweeks.

I could do roast barley instead of the midnight wheat(just went that route because I already have some on hand).

Not a lot of difference - barley's a bit more burnt flavor.

Back