bumped up cream ale - extract... opinions?

Kosh

Trial Member
Reaction score
Thinking about doing this one before I leave for Europe. Cream ale from web, modified for a bit more ABV and body. Does it look ok? BTW - Many thanks for replies i got on making a Michelob amber bock clone for my freind! have come up with what i feel will be a good amberbock recipe now - (beefed up a bit!)
For now...
Title: cream ale 1
Author: Kosh

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 45 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.024
Efficiency: 75% (steeping grains only)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.57%
IBU (tinseth): 19.63
SRM (morey): 6.11
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
10 oz - DME Pilsen Light (14.7%)
* 3 lb - LME Pilsen Light - (late addition) (70.6%)
2 oz - Maltodextrin - (late addition) (2.9%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
6.5 oz - Canadian - Honey Malt (8.8%)
2.5 oz - Belgian - Biscuit (2.9%)

HOPS:
8 g - Cluster, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.5, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 16.18
7 g - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Aroma for 10 min, IBU: 3.44

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05. \ Considering S04 despite the doughyness it may add... hmmm...

* I wonder if substituting 1 lb of the pilsner DME with golden pilsner/Vienna would be a bad idea. Not concerned with color. looking for a little more flavor complexity.
Thanks!

Thinking about doing this one before I leave for Europe. Cream ale from web, modified for a bit more ABV and body. Does it look ok? BTW - Many thanks for replies i got on making a Michelob amber bock clone for my freind! have come up with what i feel will be a good amberbock recipe now - (beefed up a bit!)
For now...
Title: cream ale 1
Author: Kosh

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 45 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.024
Efficiency: 75% (steeping grains only)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.57%
IBU (tinseth): 19.63
SRM (morey): 6.11
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
10 oz - DME Pilsen Light (14.7%)
* 3 lb - LME Pilsen Light - (late addition) (70.6%)
2 oz - Maltodextrin - (late addition) (2.9%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
6.5 oz - Canadian - Honey Malt (8.8%)
2.5 oz - Belgian - Biscuit (2.9%)

HOPS:
8 g - Cluster, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.5, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 16.18
7 g - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Aroma for 10 min, IBU: 3.44

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05. \ Considering S04 despite the doughyness it may add... hmmm...

* I wonder if substituting 1 lb of the pilsner DME with golden pilsner/Vienna would be a bad idea. Not concerned with color. looking for a little more flavor complexity.
Thanks!
Looks pretty tasty I like Vienna malt in everything if I can it'd add more nutty maltiness than just your Pilsner. You've got the maltodextrine there that should add some thickness you don't want to push it too far and fill up the mouthfeel too much it'll be ballance your after. Good luck

Remember keep the yeast happy you'll want it to attenuate well on this one.

For your extract I would use all dry light pilsner malt extract.

Vienna won't give you much in a steep - it needs to be mashed. I'm not sure about the idea of an "imperial" cream ale but it's your beer! You're already pushing, if not over the line as far as cream ale goes according to the BJCP, not that that matters if you're not competing with the beer. I would lose the maltodextrine - a cream ale is supposed to be light and poundable, you don't need the extra body. If anything, I might add some simple sugar to bring the body down a bit. Cream ale generally is an adjunct beer with corn to cut the protein of American six-row malt. Now to be clear, I'm not knocking your recipe, it'll probably make a good beer, I'm comparing the recipe to a more traditional cream ale.

Why not use the Cream Ale blend yeast? It's an ale-lager blend to give the clean, low-ester flavor characteristic of the style.

Thanks for the suggestions! the idea here is to brew a cream ale then make some adjustments to add a little more complexity to it's taste. Since it's a hybrid style well... I do like to experiment! I've read some good reviews on imp cream ales up to 7.7% abv so I'd like to at least get it 6% or close. actually i like the idea of adding some nuttyness to it, so perhaps an ounce of victory in my steeping gains? As for the cream ale yeast i will read further, i had read where several folks had problems with it taking a long time to clear, but who knows? they may have had wheat in the mix. I'll skip the maltodextine!
The Vienna was going to be 1 lb of the dme, cutting back 1 lb of pisner. for now i may stick with all pilsner.

Yeah i don't mind being off the style guidelines so much, just want a bit more complexity. as it's a good way to learn. So you think the small addition of victory in my steeping and upping abv to 6 will create a Frankenstein? Always up for suggestions! Thanks, cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions! the idea here is to brew a cream ale then make some adjustments to add a little more complexity to it's taste. Since it's a hybrid style well... I do like to experiment! I've read some good reviews on imp cream ales up to 7.7% abv so I'd like to at least get it 6% or close. actually i like the idea of adding some nuttyness to it, so perhaps an ounce of victory in my steeping gains? As for the cream ale yeast i will read further, i had read where several folks had problems with it taking a long time to clear, but who knows? they may have had wheat in the mix. I'll skip the maltodextine!
The Vienna was going to be 1 lb of the dme, cutting back 1 lb of pisner. for now i may stick with all pilsner.

Yeah i don't mind being off the style guidelines so much, just want a bit more complexity. as it's a good way to learn. So you think the small addition of victory in my steeping and upping abv to 6 will create a Frankenstein? Always up for suggestions! Thanks, cheers!
Or some victory or biscuit malt should do too I'm sure their crystal malts so may not need to mash will suit this steep thing your doing. The Vienna will need to be mashed so steep withing sac temps 60-70 c.

"It's pronounced: Fraunk-n-steen !"

victory or biscuit malt can be steeped for flavor.

Back