Imperial Pale Ale

Brewer #276310

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi
New member here
I am making the recipe on this site for - Hoppy Ninja Bunny Imperial Pale Ale (I wanted to make something strong)
I have made a few extract batches so far, with specific instructions from Northern Brewer that have worked out great.
This is my first batch of buying all ingredients from local brew supply store and going at it myself. I'd prefer to buy and support local business (NE area)

Couple of Q's
1 - the recipe doesn't specify timing for primary and then bottling - safe to assume 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks bottle conditioning?
2 - dry hopping 10 days
The recipe (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/print/207285) calls for 1 oz of Citra and 1oz of Chinook at 10 days - so this should be 10 days before bottling?

Thanks

Primary isn't based on time but, rather when fermentation is complete. You'll now when gravity remains the same over a few days period.
I would add dry hops before fermentation is complete to help scrub any oxygen introduced when adding the hops.

Small problem - don't own a hydrometer and didn't get O.G.
Before your next brew, I’d recommend getting one. That’s kind of an essential tool. Before venturing too far and further frustrating yourself, try staying with simple brews that you can repeat, and watch as many YouTube videos about beginning home brewing as you can. Brewing is easy, but there are critical steps to assure they all turn out great.

So without bing able to check gravity the two week thing is probably the best.

The amount the dry hop is contributing really drops off after 2-3 days. There's probably activity that's changing the beer for the 10 day approach, but it's less and less each day. And some of that time may not be to do with the hops. For imperials it's often just aging that's helping the beer. It's generally better to try the recipe as is and work out where you don't like it for the next batch.

Mase is spot on, a hydrometer is essential in brewing, and not at all expensive. Go get one now, and pick up a wine thief while you are there, check the gravity, then check it again the next day. Having said that, two weeks should be good. I normally leave mine for two weeks, then just confirm what I already know with the hydrometer.

Mase is spot on, a hydrometer is essential in brewing, and not at all expensive. Go get one now, and pick up a wine thief while you are there, check the gravity, then check it again the next day. Having said that, two weeks should be good. I normally leave mine for two weeks, then just confirm what I already know with the hydrometer.
Well there are those....
Bro just got back into brewing (extract) and when I ask him about hydrometer readings he has a quizzical screwed up facial expression like I'm talking Chinese :p. I go ahhh never mind dude:p:cool:

Well there are those....
Bro just got back into brewing (extract) and when I ask him about hydrometer readings he has a quizzical screwed up facial expression like I'm talking Chinese :p. I go ahhh never mind dude:p:cool:
I havent used one in years...and really only use a refractometer for SG....:rolleyes:

I havent used one in years...and really only use a refractometer for SG....:rolleyes:

Took my post mash sample to confirm the refreactometer reading with the hydrometer, forgetting I broke it last batch. Refractometer only for me this batch.

I use a refractometer as well.

The advice to get a hydrometer was directed at a new brewer.

I use a refractometer as well.

The advice to get a hydrometer was directed at a new brewer.
Since this is the beginner's thread I'll remind that the refractometer is only accurate uncorrected before fermentation starts. Afterward you'll have to convert the reading. The refractometer correction calculator on Brewer's Friend works well.

Good point Nosy!

That’s kind of an essential tool. Before venturing too far and further frustrating yourself, try staying with simple brews that you can repeat, and watch as many YouTube videos about beginning home brewing as you can.

Without gravity readings, I would be nervous about bottling after only two weeks in primary. Add in the fact that it's a big beer (1.089 OG) and you're bottling I would be extremely nervous. Go at least three weeks, maybe even four. Since you're dry-hopping you could go with two weeks in primary and two weeks in secondary (with dry-hopping into secondary). With a big beer the yeast have more work to do. Once they have consumed all the sugar they can, they start cleaning up of the compounds (i.e. diacetyl) they produced during fermentation.

As to bottle conditioning time: I have never been happy with a beer after only two weeks in the bottle. After fermentation temperature control I think bottle conditioning time has made the biggest impact on my beer. I may sample one at two weeks but always wait a full month before consuming it. And +1 to the hydrometer suggestions.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful
Got a hydrometer.
Measured gravity constant over 4 days so bottled. Here’s timeline
11/2 brewed
12/1 bottled with 5oz of priming sugar (boiled etc)
12/10 sampled. No carbonation

thoughts?
Will more bottle time add significant carbonation at this point ?

What temperature has it been since bottling? Should be above 68 degrees. Is the 5 oz by weight? It should be. If the temperature has been above 68 and the sugar is by weight, I would give them another week.

What temperature has it been since bottling? Should be above 68 degrees. Is the 5 oz by weight? It should be. If the temperature has been above 68 and the sugar is by weight, I would give them another week.
Def. not 68. Thanks prob the issue

yes on the weight:

Attachments

• D2A07F02-E3C1-4A1E-B629-470120284DEB.jpeg
    D2A07F02-E3C1-4A1E-B629-470120284DEB.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 79
Yep, warm them up for a couple weeks and they will be fine. Then you can put them back in storage.

It's not likely I'm gonna get any good out of this, because I'm just getting started, but I'm gonna try what's left. Thanks for the recipe.

Back