Changing Weight amounts

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
When you are entering amounts and then select say lb or oz, the weight automatically recalculates to that new measure and you have to go back and enter the correct amount. This seems really backwards. Is it possible to keep it from changing? I can understand and appreciate these figures changing once all fields are filled out and actually want to convert between different weights or measures, but not while trying to enter original amounts and ingredients.

This is the behavior I've complained about.... In my opinion it should work like this: If there's a fermentable selected or entered, recalculate the amount when units change; otherwise, do not recalculate. That way, we can enter new ingredients in the order weight, units, ingredient. Oh, and another one: The mash information section does this weirdness as well and when scaling a recipe, the volumes do not scale.

Looks like @Yooper has submitted a ticket for this behavior already, following this thread Notes on Recipe Development.

For now, I think the best behavior for unit changes would be to keep it simple and not convert the value when changing units.

So enter value of 2, with current units of oz, then changing the units to lbs would end up as 2 lbs instead of the current 0.125 lbs.

I believe @thunderwagn is asking for the same behaviour that I stated above, but I think @Nosybear is saying you prefer the current behavior? Can you confirm?

I thought all these "quirks" had been ironed out. I shall need to look again but one fix seems to lead to another problem. More rigorous testing I think.

Looks like @Yooper has submitted a ticket for this behavior already, following this thread Notes on Recipe Development.

For now, I think the best behavior for unit changes would be to keep it simple and not convert the value when changing units.

So enter value of 2, with current units of oz, then changing the units to lbs would end up as 2 lbs instead of the current 0.125 lbs.

I believe @thunderwagn is asking for the same behaviour that I stated above, but I think @Nosybear is saying you prefer the current behavior? Can you confirm?
I like the units to change IF I'm changing an amount of an ingredient that has already been entered. Example: I've entered 0.5 pounds of 2-row and I change units to ounces, I want the amount to change to 8. If there is no fermentable or hops, I want to enter data in the order of amount, unit, fermentable, in other words, as long as the fermentable or hops are not entered and saved, changing the units does not change the amount. It's the same behavior Thunderwagn is asking for.

Example: if I enter 4 when it's set to lb (by default) and then hit oz, it changes to 64 oz. I'd rather have it stay 4 oz. That said, I do want/expect conversions to happen as well, but after fermentables are set.
So say I did have 4lb pilsner malt and wanted it to read oz later if I toggled to oz.
Hope that makes sense.

Example: if I enter 4 when it's set to lb (by default) and then hit oz, it changes to 64 oz. I'd rather have it stay 4 oz. That said, I do want/expect conversions to happen as well, but after fermentables are set.
So say I did have 4lb pilsner malt and wanted it to read oz later if I toggled to oz.
Hope that makes sense.
It's what I tried to say, you just did it in a lot fewer words.... :)

Would it be as simple as to enter the unit of measure first, then the amount, then the fermentable? Or perhaps the fermentable, then unit of measure then amount. Otherwise the software is expected to read your mind...

I don't have access to the code, but I think this should be doable, and might already be what yooper submitted the ticket for. The order shouldn't matter too much, as long as the important issue is if the fermentable drop-down is empty, then don't convert.

If fermentable is empty, and units are changed, then don't convert.

If fermentable is selected, and units are changed, then convert the amount value.

Same thing for any other unit changes, hops, mash guidelines etc.

I don't have access to the code, but I think this should be doable, and might already be what yooper submitted the ticket for. The order shouldn't matter too much, as long as the important issue is if the fermentable drop-down is empty, then don't convert.

If fermentable is selected, and units are changed, then convert the amount value.

Perfect!

Ah! That makes sense now

Exactly!

Thanks for the patience, looks like Yooper was on the same page. They've pushed an update for this to the beta site for those interested, and I'm testing now.

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know this update went live today!

Back