Pina Colada IPA

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Had a Pina Colada IPA for the first time yesterday. It was pretty damn tasty. The coconut was there in a subtle way. Would like to to make an attempt at brewing one.

I've checked out a few recipes and most add lactose. Is lactose a necessary component for a pina colada IPA or even just a coconut IPA? I would be ok just going with my usual NEIPA recipe and just adding in coconut towards the end of fermentation. If the coconut is added during fermentation, would there be any concern about infection?

Thoughts?

I'd just add a can or two of coconut water...all the flavor you need no concern with introducing other organisms since it's pasteurized.

You need it for sweetness. Alternately mash high, say 156 degrees, and let the dextrines provide the sweetness via the amylases in your mouth. It'll add some body so you might consider adding some fermentable sugar to offset.

I'd just add a can or two of coconut water...all the flavor you need no concern with introducing other organisms since it's pasteurized.
Never thought about coconut water. Might try that instead of actual coconut.

Reactions: J A
You need it for sweetness. Alternately mash high, say 156 degrees, and let the dextrines provide the sweetness via the amylases in your mouth. It'll add some body so you might consider adding some fermentable sugar to offset.
If i were to add lactose, do you think 4oz would be enough for a 5 gal batch?

Would adding actual coconut create some issue with oils?

If i were to add lactose, do you think 4oz would be enough for a 5 gal batch?
You can start there, then adjust the lactose at packaging. And yes, adding actual coconut would cause issues with oil. I've done it, even toasted, it's oily stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't want coconut oil in my beer. It'll tend to be mouth-coating. Coconut water will have the flavor without the fatty, nutty parts.

Flying Monkeys make a NEIPA with a coconut flavor to it, it has a bit of sweetness to it, I suspect they add lactose. I would think some flaked oats, and or flaked wheat would be in there too.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Kind of thinking taking one of the NEIPA recipes i use and add in 4 oz of lactose which is what i have and 1-2 cans of coconut water.
70% 2 Row
17% Flaked Oats
6.5% Carapils
6.5% Golden Naked Oats
4 oz Lactose
1-2 cans Coconut water added 4- 5 days after fermentation starts
Citra/Mosaic hops all in whirlpool and DH.
As for yeast, I'll go with OYL091 (Kveik) or OYL052 (Conan) or 1318 if I head to the LHBS.

Back