Session Pale Ale

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I brewed a similar version about a year ago and it was lacking any real flavor.
I just want something easy drinking and something my wife will enjoy. She has been drinking my NEIPA's and she's been enjoying them. Just want to try something a little different.
Thoughts/Feedback much appreciated.

Not sure how to share my recipe from BF so here's the info:
OG: 1.042
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.12%
IBU: 39
SRM: 6.78
GB:
10 lb 2 Row
1 lb Munich
8 oz C80
8 oz Torrified Wheat

Hops:
1.5 Oz Cascade @ 30 min
1 oz Chinook @10 min
1 oz each Cascade & Centennial @ WP for 20 min at 170
2 oz Centennial DH for 5 days

S04 Yeast.
Mash at 154 for 60 min
Ferment @ 65

IMO, C80 is way too dark for a Pale Ale. Not just color but wrong flavor palate. It's fine if you're looking for a more robust flavor like an Amber. If you just want a little more interesting flavor in a Pale Ale, some nutty, toast malts like Victory or Biscuit can go a long way toward that.
Not sure why you're using more hops at 30 minutes, but I'd look at a smaller 60 minute addition to achieve the same IBUs and throw the remainder in with the dry hop.
It'll all work as you have it laid out, though.

I brewed a similar version about a year ago and it was lacking any real flavor.
I just want something easy drinking and something my wife will enjoy. She has been drinking my NEIPA's and she's been enjoying them. Just want to try something a little different.
Thoughts/Feedback much appreciated.

Not sure how to share my recipe from BF so here's the info:
OG: 1.042
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.12%
IBU: 39
SRM: 6.78
GB:
10 lb 2 Row
1 lb Munich
8 oz C80
8 oz Torrified Wheat

Hops:
1.5 Oz Cascade @ 30 min
1 oz Chinook @10 min
1 oz each Cascade & Centennial @ WP for 20 min at 170
2 oz Centennial DH for 5 days

S04 Yeast.
Mash at 154 for 60 min
Ferment @ 65
My Lil ale recipie I brewed recently changed my FWH to a 30 min addition as well my thinking was trying to get a bit of both out of them hops. It's still conditioning in the keg.
Not sure on percentages on them crystal malts but as is looks tasty to me.

To share a recipie you go into recipie edit recipie click on tools then click on share then tick the boxes then copy that link come back here and paste it into your msg.
Screenshot_20190905-094746_Samsung Internet.jpg

IMO, C80 is way too dark for a Pale Ale. Not just color but wrong flavor palate. It's fine if you're looking for a more robust flavor like an Amber. If you just want a little more interesting flavor in a Pale Ale, some nutty, toast malts like Victory or Biscuit can go a long way toward that.
Not sure why you're using more hops at 30 minutes, but I'd look at a smaller 60 minute addition to achieve the same IBUs and throw the remainder in with the dry hop.
It'll all work as you have it laid out, though.
Yea the C80 is a bit different and probably doesn't fit the "pale" catagory. I guess it's more of an Amber but wanted to see what C80 brought to the table.
As for the hops, I'll take your advice and move my bittering to 60 at a smaller amt and add the rest as a DH charge. I initially had a 60 min addition but moved it to 30 to try and smooth out the bitterness.

My Lil ale recipie I brewed recently changed my FWH to a 30 min addition as well my thinking was trying to get a bit of both out of them hops. It's still conditioning in the keg.
Not sure on percentages on them crystal malts but as is looks tasty to me.

To share a recipie you go into recipie edit recipie click on tools then click on share then tick the boxes then copy that link come back here and paste it into your msg.
View attachment 7135

Thanks for the info on sharing the recipe.
As for the crystal, i just wanted something different. Not sure how different 80 will be vs 20 or 40 in the flavor dept. Color wise, I know it's going to exceed the "pale" category but I'm good with that.
The last session pale I brewed was lacking in flavor so trying to amp it up some without going overboard.
Depending on style, I usually add my bittering hops at 30 min- I just don't notice much of a difference between 60 and 30 (flavor wise) so figured it may be better to go with 30 to get a smoother bitterness and more aroma/flavor.
I just find my hop aroma/flavor has been lacking lately. Just trying to find that balance between all ingredients.

As for the hops, I'll take your advice and move my bittering to 60 at a smaller amt and add the rest as a DH charge. I initially had a 60 min addition but moved it to 30 to try and smooth out the bitterness.
Cascade is very smooth at 60. If you're really concerned about mellowing it out, Magnum is king for 60 minute addition - no sharp edges in the bitterness end of the profile.
You'll get more of that from the Chinook, but at 10 minutes, you'll mostly get some good piney/pot notes and not much harshness.

In my go to west coast style IPA I use 5.7% C60, and 5.3% Carapils, balance is 2row. I personally like the malt character/backbone that the C60 brings, but that is just my taste. I have been using magnum to bitter at 60, and have been playing with that amount to get the right effect. Your C80 is a little under 4%. It is only ever theory until you brew it. Once you brew it and taste it come back here and review all of the thoughts and advice and make whatever adjustments make sense.
Good luck with it

I may try and brew this on Sunday.
Once i get it done, I'll report back with my thoughts.

Brewed on 10/5.
OG: 1.053 (aimed for 1.056)
FG: 1.010 (aimed for 1.016) Glad it finished bit more dryer
Rehydrated S04/ 81% Attentuation
The sample smells and taste great so anxious to give it a try.

This was my first brew on my High Gravity System
I'm going to start the cold crash today and aim to keg by Wednesday so it will be ready for next weekend.

Attachments

• Amber Ale.jpg
    Amber Ale.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 73
Nice Nola. Maybe a little amber in color, but how did the hops come through?

Nice Nola. Maybe a little amber in color, but how did the hops come through?
Kind of on the weak side but in the back ground if that makes any sense.
I will be brewing a blonde in a couple weeks where I don't want to dry hop so all hops late and in WP.

Back