Malto Dextrin before bottling

Jhogan0101

Trial Member
Reaction score
Ive never used it, i understand it can add body to a beer.
If i need to add before bottling, how do i go about that?

It's not very common to add malto-dextrin to beer. Just use a little more Crystal malt in the mash when you want more body or mash. If you're trying to "save" one particular batch, you'd just be guessing as to how much to use and how much improvement you'd make and you risk coming up with something that's worse off than if you'd just left it alone.

Last edited:
maltodextrin is not uncommon. Add it in the last 5 minutes the boil.

maltodextrin is not uncommon. Add it in the last 5 minutes the boil.
He's adding it at packaging. It'll add body but also perception of sweetness. I'd recommend dissolving it in watand boiling before adding. How much is a guess.

If you want to add it at bottling time, you need to figure out how much to use. To do this you need to make a solution of maltodextrine, try dissolving a cup of it in about 500ml of water. Take a measured amount of your beer, let's say 250ml, and with an oral dose syringe or other such device for measuring small amounts of liquid and add a few mls at a time until you get the effect you want. Scale that amount of maltodextrine solution up to your batch size and add at bottling time. Don't forget that the maltodextrine solution needs to be boiled to sanitize.

There is just plain sugar too ya know would make life easier to just add the maltodextrine when making the batch of beer and use plain sugar for a bottle carb. I'm guessing this is an extract batch with the maltodextrine sugar addition?

There is just plain sugar too ya know would make life easier to just add the maltodextrine when making the batch of beer and use plain sugar for a bottle carb. I'm guessing this is an extract batch with the maltodextrine sugar addition?
Maltodextrine won't work to condition. He wants to increase the beer's body at bottling.

Back