White floaties in my honey wort

Hop Sucker

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m fairly new to all grain and learning lots with each brew I do.
I recently made a recipe of my own where I added 1 kg of honey at the end of the boil to 45lt. After a few days of bubbling in the fermenter things seemed to stop as the temp dropped 1043 down to 1025 on the refracto. I checked a few times but left it for a couple of weeks. I’ve just taken the lid off to give the yeast a rouse and add a heater and found quite a bit of white floaty stuff in the wort. At first I thought infection but now I’m thinking maybe beeswax or something from the honey. I took a sample and it tasted good. Still 1025 refracto but 1012 with the hydrometer so I’m guessing I have equipment issues.
Anyone have experience with the white floaties?
Thanks

Still 1025 refracto but 1012 with the hydrometer so I’m guessing I have equipment issues.
Refractometer isn't accurate for measuring final gravity. You have to use a conversion formula. The hydrometer is all you need for FG. You're beer is done.
There are all sorts of things that can be floating - yeast, hops, proteins, etc, though nothing from the honey... If it's not creating a skin on top, you don't need to worry. If it's starts skinning over and/or creeping up the sides, you have an infection.

Cheers JA,
What do you think about me leaving as is to bring the temperature up again and checking gravity one more time in a few days just to be sure before kegging or bottling? Or will this process of temp rise mess with my flavours

28A3BEA4-2D3D-4895-A64D-BBC84E79C4BA.jpeg

Any off scent? Looks like yeast flocs to me.

Hey Nosybear,
Smells fine and tastes good too, I’m probably just being paranoid because I haven’t seen it before.

Cheers JA,
What do you think about me leaving as is to bring the temperature up again and checking gravity one more time in a few days just to be sure before kegging or bottling? Or will this process of temp rise mess with my flavours
After two weeks at FG, it's done and ready to package. Unless you used a Belgian yeast that's known for lagging after initial fermentation and restarting to attenuate into the low single digits, the only thing that's going to change the gravity is lactobacillus or brett. Get it out of the fermenter before something finds its way in and ruins your batch.

Yep the high FG or 1.012 is a good indicator with three weeks sitting in fermentor that it's not infected.

Back