Stella Recipes?

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Stella and looking for a Stella recipe. There is some recipes on this site but no reviews on them so not sure if they are good or not. If anyone has any ideas or have brewed any of these recipes please let me know. Appreciate it in advance.

Stella is damned hard to make at our scale but here's all it is: A Continental Pilsner. Find out what hops they use, make a Continental pilsner and you have a Stella.

I would be very interested to see an original Stella recipe. We had it on the bar in the first pub I worked in and it was a bit of a madman back in those days, wish I had taken note of ABV back then so I could be sure how much of the guts they'e ripped out of it now.

Do let us know if you brew it...

Stella is a difficult beer as Nosy said, but it’s not impossible. It’s a light lager and it’s all about process. Fermentation, water and mashing have to be dead on to make it turn out.

Grain bill is usually 100% German or continental malt. Some add rice, but I wouldn’t, maybe 3% white wheat for head retention.

Bitter to 15-18 IBU with a clean German hop, Magnum is clean and you don’t need very much, Tettnang is good too.

The water is very soft, all R/O, the chloride to sulfate ratio is even or slightly to the chloride side.

WLP833 is IMHO the best yeast for this beer, which is basically a lower IBU Helles. This yeast is very clean at 48F, is easy to work with and is a fast starter. Pitch a lot of yeast, more than you think you should. I pitch 2.0 million cells/ml/ degree Plato when I brew Helles/American lager/Stella. Expect sulfur production, you can get rid of it with a long rest at 62F after a week at 48F. Saflager 34/70 would be my second choice, but 833 is better in this case.

It’s a tough beer and don’t be disappointed if it’s not a Stella the first go around, it may take a lot of try’s to get it right. But if you can brew this beer you can just about any beer.

I brew a rice-adjunct that gives a very satisfactory performance as a Stella syand-in. Pilsner, rice, Magnum, Mittlefreuh, big pitch of decent lager yeast.

There's some info on Wikipedia about it. Whether it's accurate who knows but it may give you a start. ABV 4.8 to 5.2, saaz hops, IBUs 20 but once were 33. Stella Artois is advertised as containing "only 4 ingredients: hops, malted barley, maize and water".

Once you're brewing that style and you hit on a fermentation that gives you clean malt and hops, the recipe is almost secondary. Whether you're thinking of Stella or Kirin or Estrella Dam or Peroni, you're brewing a basic International Pale Lager. If you brewed a satisfactory example and lined up your beer along with all the others I mentioned, you'd have a tough time telling them apart.
Don't stress about ingredient list - just keep is painfully simple. Run a good mash, lauter and sparge carefully for a high-quality wort and find a yeast that performs well with your particular fermentation/temp control system and you'll be very satisfied with the results.

Once you're brewing that style and you hit on a fermentation that gives you clean malt and hops, the recipe is almost secondary. Whether you're thinking of Stella or Kirin or Estrella Dam or Peroni, you're brewing a basic International Pale Lager. If you brewed a satisfactory example and lined up your beer along with all the others I mentioned, you'd have a tough time telling them apart.
Don't stress about ingredient list - just keep is painfully simple. Run a good mash, lauter and sparge carefully for a high-quality wort and find a yeast that performs well with your particular fermentation/temp control system and you'll be very satisfied with the results.
Yep. Challenge is to manage a flawless fermentation. And I like Stella - it's a very good beer!

Back