Cancelling Membership (auto renewal)

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Cancel my membership and just want to make sure that doing so will stop the auto renewal process on my credit card. I would also like to make sure that my current paid for time will still remain so that I have time to set up and transfer all my recipes and settings to new software.

Reactions: J A
:( ....hope you'll still be lurking the forums

Yes. If click "cancel", it will cancel the renewal, but not your current membership.

I really would hate to see you go, though. :(

I'll still be take part in the forums, but I think I need to move on to different software at least for a bit.

Unfortunately, it's the wave of the future. :(
I really hate it that the momentum has turned so negatively with the software side of this site. @Yooper , you're in touch with the powers that be and the owners of the site. What's the deal? How are they justifying this change in the direction and philosophy for the site?

I plan to stay here and participate in the forums at the very least, but the recipe editor and brew session software has become unusable for me.

Unfortunately, it's the wave of the future. :(
I really hate it that the momentum has turned so negatively with the software side of this site. @Yooper , you're in touch with the powers that be and the owners of the site. What's the deal? How are they justifying this change in the direction and philosophy for the site?

We haven't changed the philosophy, and are still dedicated to continuing to have Brewer's Friend be the best brewing software around.

The changes most recently involved some issues with the efficiency calculations for brewers who have a lot of non-boil off losses. In attempting to solve that issue, it impacted too many others (as you know).

They are still listening to the needs and wants of the membership, improving the UI, and are dedicated to customer service. So not really a change in direction at all, although I can see how it may appear that way to you guys. We absolutely listen to you, especially the core group, and are actively working through any issues you have told us about.

Well, I hate to say it but I don't think the voices have really been heard, and I guess my single membership probably doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but dropping my payment is how I'm now using my voice.

Well, I hate to say it but I don't think the voices have really been heard, and I guess my single membership probably doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but dropping my payment is how I'm now using my voice.

It DOES matter. We've taken this very seriously, and I personally have discussed this (you) with the "powers that be". The response was that this was very troubling and we are working out a way to immediately become better.

We are small enough that each comment is important, and each member is not unknown. No one is "just a member" or "just a subscriber", and it's very concerning that you are not wanting to renew your subscription. Not just to me, because of the personal relationship, but to all us.

@Yooper

I am trying an alternative software on my next brew, the wrinkles in the brew session have made it unusable for me. Whether I cancel or not, I'm not sure at this point. Don't know if the grass is greener over there or not...

@Yooper

I am trying an alternative software on my next brew, the wrinkles in the brew session have made it unusable for me. Whether I cancel or not, I'm not sure at this point. Don't know if the grass is greener over there or not...

Craig, the brew sessions should be without impact at this point. Today we removed the confusing “extra box”, and the issue with the carafa in inventory not ‘holding’ roast malt has also been fixed.

What I would suggest seems like more work- but here’s what I would do.
Enter the recipe into both programs. Use them both, and see what feels more intuitive and “right” to you. Then compare the results with your numbers. I know you use the water calc, so use the water calcs, etc. It’s twice as much work, but should help you make your decision easier.

I think Brewer’s Friend is the whole package (literally). But if you decide something works better for your situation, I can understand (I think :) ). One thing I would love is if you give us feedback about the differences and why you chose whatever it is that you’ll choose. I would hope that you stay with BF, but I really hope that you would remain a part of the forum even if you decide to try something else for your brewing.

well I’ve been paying for coming on three years for BF, and have still never used the program from start to finish as it’s almost like being the laborer doing what a boss tells you to do. Well, when it comes to homebrew, I am the Boss (well, the wife is too). I’ve not brewed the amount of batches that some here have, but coming up on 50 batches, and never a dumper, and always crushable (well, maybe not the gruit), we’re doing pretty good. I use the yeast Pitch calculator, the infusion calculator and the ABV calculator, and that’s it. I used to cobble through the system to get the tilt to work, but it actually works better for me on Google Spreadsheet.

Maybe BF should offer a “lite” version for us cobblers and non conformists! Great Community though!

Well, I hate to say it but I don't think the voices have really been heard,
I'd have to agree with that...I know that there's been a rousing chorus of "stop changing things" for many months at least, but every time I open a recipe, it seems, there's another "feature" or "improvement" to figure out and adjust for. Or, even when not actively spending time trying to figure things out, learning that "we just got rid of that thing that we put in that was causing so much trouble"....once again.
The direction has indeed changed, in my opinion, though I'm sure it's inevitable and necessary. The management/owners/coders have tried to incorporate and keep up with the latest technology which enhances the functionality for a small segment of the homebrewing market and they've tried to incorporate changes so that every iteration of the newbie brewing experience can be accomodated and new "customers' brought on board. In the process though, you've gone from one of the best and easiest to use recipe calculators available to an overwrought and unwieldy collection of process functions that basically work ok as long as you already knew what you were doing. It's not as easy for new brewers to figure out and I seriously doubt that any pro brew would waste time with a second look.
To be fair, I know that I'm judging harshly from a somewhat Luddite perspective but I really don't believe it's in the interest of best practices to make your trusting customers bear the brunt of lax R&D and hasty rollouts resulting in frequent failure of the basic functions of the calculator.

Here, here, and amen to that! Couldn't agree more!
*tongue in cheek* Maybe they should charge for the use of the forums and we get the brewing software for free. At least that way I would feel like I’m getting value. Similar to free editing software that comes with new digital cameras. It works, but there are better options out there.

Last edited:
*tongue in cheek* Maybe they should charge for the use of the forums and we get the brewing software for free. At least that way I would feel like I’m getting value. Similar to free editing software that comes with new digital cameras. It works, but there are better options out there.

You do bring up an interesting point that I've actually thought about myself. Here the last few months I've considered my money better served for the use of this great forum vs the software. I have even considered if it's 'fair' to keep paying to show some type of support for the forum because I do value the use of it.
I feel like there is a real disconnect here between the brewers and the developer/s. This isn't beta or testing software as far as I know. There seem to be changes made here with no regard to the end result to the brewer. Most of us lead busy lives and need something to work right without second guessing and jacking around with all of our settings every time we find a few hours to actually break away and brew. I've had to put brew weekends off to the following weekend just to try and iron things out.
This morning is a great example. I'd be in a furious panic if I woke up ready to hit the brew button given the track record of changes lately. I think Brewers Friend is going to have a real problem proving itself again to quite a few. It's to the point where every little change has folks on edge.

I've got no reason not to share the fact that I've been using Brewfather software lately and so far have been very happy with it.

Last edited:
Long time user here, but only recently a Premium Member. Not because I'm cheap or didn't like the site, but because I frequently change credit cards to follow the best deals which makes CC subs a pita to maintain. That said, I'm already feeling buyers remorse. Between the ongoing feature creep into the BF editor and the Grainfather Connect app bait and switch, I've had a horrible track record with my brews this summer. I'm almost ready to go back to pen, paper and an egg timer.

Have you guys thought of doing things the way they're done in the real world? ie. Set up a User Acceptance or Beta platform and invite those who are eager to test new features in doing so. Once you've ironed out all the bugs in UAT, freeze your code changes and advise the whole community of an upcoming release date for the new version. This will give your members time to explore any new design changes on their own schedule rather than get surprised at the top of their brew day. At the very least you should have an internal development platform that follows a strict regression test checklist before pushing anything to production. I'd be crucified by my clients if I deployed the types of bugs you guys roll out with such frequency.

There are unresolved issues with the software, and suddenly there is a roll out of new "features" (read, well at least things look different...)

I'm with TW, have been giving brewfather a try. At this point I am pretty sure that I will let my membership lapse here.

Hash Tag : Not Happy!

Love the forums. Starting not to like the calculator at all.

I’m cancelling too. Wtf did you do to the interface today?

Back