18 Days and zero carbonation!

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, this has never happened to me! I have nearly zero carbonation in a Belgian IPA I bottled 18 days ago and have kept between 68 and 74 degrees. What should I do? There isn't much yeast that has dropped out and there should have been enough priming sugar added (4 oz roughly - if I remember right). I usually keg these days but bottled this for a friend who wanted me to make it.... What are your recommendations?

If you're sure you added the priming sugar, the only thing remaining is that the yeast wasn't up to the task. This happened to one of my beers a few years back. I uncapped, dropped a few grains of US-05 in each bottle and recapped. They carbonated as normal.

Out of curiosity what yeast did you use?

If you're asking me, pretty sure it was US-05. Even though I almost never use it, I keep a packet around for emergencies.

Haha I was curious what the OP used for yeast cause I've heard of some kveik flocc'ing hard carb issues.

Last edited:
I used Fermentis - Safbrew - Abbaye Yeast BE-256 - but it was a big beer and I only used two packets. Expected to reach FG of 1.022 and instead hit 1.018. My guess was the yeast quit and you guys would advise to uncapped, add yeast and recap. However, I am not sure how much yeast to add... BOB - just a few grains? I was thinking of maybe half of a 1/8 teaspoon to each bottle - too much?

I used Fermentis - Safbrew - Abbaye Yeast BE-256 - but it was a big beer and I only used two packets. Expected to reach FG of 1.022 and instead hit 1.018. My guess was the yeast quit and you guys would advise to uncapped, add yeast and recap. However, I am not sure how much yeast to add... BOB - just a few grains? I was thinking of maybe half of a 1/8 teaspoon to each bottle - too much?

I'm talking a very small pinch. Six or eight grains per bottle is all you need. Conservatively, there are 120 Billion cells in a 11 gram packet, so a few grains is plenty. (not grains as in weight, grains as in sand) More yeast won't hurt and may make the process a bit quicker but will leave more sediment too.

I'm talking a very small pinch. Six or eight grains per bottle is all you need. Conservatively, there are 120 Billion cells in a 11 gram packet, so a few grains is plenty. (not grains as in weight, grains as in sand) More yeast won't hurt and may make the process a bit quicker but will leave more sediment too.

Looks like it is going to be a long tedious night! Thanks a ton for the help!

This happened to me last year. Someone recommended inverting the bottles for a couple hours, then giving them another couple weeks. This redistributes the yeast and worked for me. If you have the time you might try it before embarking on more drastic measures. I am confident Bob's recommendations will work though.

This happened to me last year. Someone recommended inverting the bottles for a couple hours, then giving them another couple weeks. This redistributes the yeast and worked for me. If you have the time you might try it before embarking on more drastic measures. I am confident Bob's recommendations will work though.
Yeah. I did this last week and didn't have any better results. Fact is, there isn't any yeast floccing out to redistribute...

Back