Dry hop

west1m

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ok dumb question of the day. I just started a recipe from here Kona Big Wave Clone.
It is in the tun. I just noticed the hop schedule calls for Dry Hopping and I have never done this before.
The schedule says "5 Days" Does that mean put it in on day 5 or leave it in for 5 days?

OK "5 days" must be the leave it in there for 5 days...

5 days would be contact time with the beer. I typically add dry hops to fermenter about 7 days into fermentation.

That would mean you leave them in the fermenter for 5 days.

I have a leftover grain bag from the extra grain in an extract kit . I should be able to put the hops in that and let it float for the five days?

Starting to look like beer
Kona Big Wave.jpg

I have a leftover grain bag from the extra grain in an extract kit . I should be able to put the hops in that and let it float for the five days?
That'll work. If you're fermenting in a carboy be sure to put them in 5 days before you're ready to package the beer. Bags of hops aren't easy to get out through a narrow opening.

Ok now I have to ask , with you comment and Kraigerrr's comment, when should the dry hops be added?

Last edited:
I would say anytime from as soon as the rigor has gone from the fermentation to 5 days before you bottle or keg.

glad I asked today , I would have put the hops in today. Thank you everyone!

That would depend. If you were making a NEIPA, you'd add them any time between when you pitch the yeast and high Krausen.
For more conventional styles most brewers wait at least until fermentation is almost complete. I wait until the Krausen drops.

I have put hops in a bag in the past, but now I just add the hops in loose. Five, four, six days, not a big deal to me.

I use one of the wire mesh hop balls to hold the pellets. Of course this will not fit through a carboy opening. I usually wait until the beer is one of two points from expected final gravity and add. Usually 5 to 7 days as noted above. Like a lot of things, there is the law of diminishing returns. The hop oils join the beer pretty quickly at first and after a few days, this has pretty much stopped. I have had no adverse effect for leaving the hops in longer than five days if I'm not quite ready to bottle or keg.

OK, a week later , the really big foam has subsided and gravity has dropped from 1.052 to 1.018 (@ 64° ) and still bubbling good..
I just put the extra hops in a grain bag with a couple marbles (bag , string and marbles boiled first) and dropped it in the fermenter.
I will see how this goes in about 5 days.

On another note, since I started this brewing thing last winter I have made about 11 five gallon batches. I just tapped a new keg of Czech Pilsner and my first impression is the same as most of the others, first taste , kind of bitter or tart. Quite drinkable but still a bit bitter. Can I use les hops at the 60 minute boil point or maybe toss the first hops in at 30 minutes instead of 60?

Id just lower that 60 minute contribution. Also wait another week or two to see if that bitterness mellows before making your changes.

Id just lower that 60 minute contribution. Also wait another week or two to see if that bitterness mellows before making your changes.

I think in a week or two it will all be gone and I will have to try again....

I agree with Ben. Just reduce the 60 minute addition.

Just got back from a vacation trip a coupla days ago, chilled the brew to ~35° fro 2 days and kegged the Kona Big Wave this morning.
I'll see how this went in a few days. The vacation gave it a few days in the secondary fermenter, looks like BEER!

My first "Dry Hop" batch got tapped last night. Grill master 242's Kona Big Wave Clone. Worked out quite well, a bit more hop flavor than I expected, turned out to be real good beer...

Great news! Congrats!

Back