Fermzilla Conical Fermenter V2

I've got the Blowtie on me order along with the rest of what I need. Turning into an pricey little fermenter lol.

Well, sad to report the replacement is going back to MoreBeer. Done messing with this thing.

I filled the 'Zilla with 5.75 gallons of water, added 15 PSI of pressure and one of the caps on the collection container leaked. So I replaced it with a carbonation cap, hand tightened and still leaked. Put the strap wrench to it and leaked.
Removed the carbonation cap and i guess from tightening it sucked in the rubber washer which I suppose wasn't sealing correctly. Fixed it and did the same thing. Tried one of the caps that came with the lid and it still leaked.

I like this thing but it just didn't work for me.

I've decided to either drop the coin for a Spike Flex+ which with a few added accessories bumps the price to $500 or try the Kegmenter. The Kegmenter will not fit in my ferm chamber without some mods but it's much cheaper than the spike (although different altogether) but still does basically the same thing. The Flex+ may not even fit depending how much added width the ports take up. Would probably have to add a collar and also a step inside to raise both above the compressor hump.

Unfortunate. I really hope my experience isn't the same as I'm looking forward to getting mine all set up. I'm sure you were the same way. I cant find many negative experiences with the new version. Then again, I don't see lots out there period on the v2.

I'm sure your's will be good- I guess it was just me as I didnt find any negatives before I ordered.
Not alot of info out there-
Good luck- looking forward to seeing how yours works out.

Well, sad to report the replacement is going back to MoreBeer. Done messing with this thing.

I filled the 'Zilla with 5.75 gallons of water, added 15 PSI of pressure and one of the caps on the collection container leaked. So I replaced it with a carbonation cap, hand tightened and still leaked. Put the strap wrench to it and leaked.
Removed the carbonation cap and i guess from tightening it sucked in the rubber washer which I suppose wasn't sealing correctly. Fixed it and did the same thing. Tried one of the caps that came with the lid and it still leaked.

I like this thing but it just didn't work for me.

I've decided to either drop the coin for a Spike Flex+ which with a few added accessories bumps the price to $500 or try the Kegmenter. The Kegmenter will not fit in my ferm chamber without some mods but it's much cheaper than the spike (although different altogether) but still does basically the same thing. The Flex+ may not even fit depending how much added width the ports take up. Would probably have to add a collar and also a step inside to raise both above the compressor hump.
Ah that sux Nola ! I can't believe both leaked on you gee wizz that is unlucky dude.

Ah that sux Nola ! I can't believe both leaked on you gee wizz that is unlucky dude.
Oh well. On to the next thing I guess.
Not sure if I will go with the Spike Flex+ or Kegmenter. Really dont want to spend the $$ for a Spike- Gonna wait a while and do some research on both.

I have spent a little over an hour getting all the leaks taken care of. I think just about everything leaked that could. I actually had to go back and loosen everything up. I had it too tight. The black caps on the collection cup ended up giving me the biggest problem. Those I had to tight very well. Holding solid now and hoping that continues.

Oh well. On to the next thing I guess.
Not sure if I will go with the Spike Flex+ or Kegmenter. Really dont want to spend the $$ for a Spike- Gonna wait a while and do some research on both.
The kegmentor has a preassure lid attachment with floating dip tube as per.the fermzilla and snub nose. But I know it's an extra purchase ontop. Still no yeast collection. But what you can do is install an element on the keg for sterilization.

The kegmentor has a preassure lid attachment with floating dip tube as per.the fermzilla and snub nose. But I know it's an extra purchase ontop. Still no yeast collection. But what you can do is install an element on the keg for sterilization.
I usually do not harvest yeast, per se. I harvest from starters (2 50ml vials) and use 1 or both of the vials for each new starter. That way it's clean yeast with no hop material and it has worked very well for me since I started doing it. And I always have yeast ready for starters.
The Fermzilla collection cup for me was going to be used to dump trub then to dry hop under pressure.
I used to harvest yeast slurry from certain batches and store in half pint jars but that process took up too much space in my fridge and got tired of my wife complaining about it.

I have spent a little over an hour getting all the leaks taken care of. I think just about everything leaked that could. I actually had to go back and loosen everything up. I had it too tight. The black caps on the collection cup ended up giving me the biggest problem. Those I had to tight very well. Holding solid now and hoping that continues.
Yep, I think the first Fermzilla I rec'd I may have tightened up the cup a bit much but I tried all different levels of torque and couldn't find the sweet spot where there were no leaks.
The second one I only hand tightened but would not completely seal unless I used keg lube on the gasket. The biggest issue with the second one were as you mentioned the black caps on the collection cup. One leaked pretty bad no matter how tight I was able to get it. I tried both hand tight and also using the strap wrench and wouldn't help. I also replaced the cap with a carbonation cap but it still leaked.
I just got tired of messing with it and it got me thinking about issue that could arise on brew day and during fermentation. I just didn't feel confident to ferment in it, removing the collection cup then not getting it to seal properly. Same with the black caps or carb caps on the cup.
I want my brew days to be enjoyable, not stressful and frustrating.
Hopefully my issues are only limited to the two i received. Maybe it was just me. But I've moved on now I just need to decide where to go next.

Well I hope my luck continues with the Fermzilla. So far I'm very happy with it. After spending the afternoon with it yesterday and ironing out a couple kinks, it's been rock solid and not a drop. The handles are super nice and I may end up ordering a set of handles for the neck.
1st brew in: Nautical Star.
20190915_132929.jpg
20190915_132907.jpg

Well I hope my luck continues with the Fermzilla. So far I'm very happy with it. After spending the afternoon with it yesterday and ironing out a couple kinks, it's been rock solid and not a drop. The handles are super nice and I may end up ordering a set of handles for the neck.
1st brew in: Nautical Star.
View attachment 7217 View attachment 7218
Hell yeah lookin goood!

I am planning on doing an oxygen-free dry hop using the collection container and CO2. Do I need to dump the trub first or can I do it at the same time as the dry hop? I am going to use a hop bag, but I am worried the trub may stop the hop bag from rising into the fermenter. On the other hand, I would rather not have to dump the collection cup twice.

Back