Weldwerks Juicy Bits

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Brewing this tomorrow.
When I dry hop I usually just add everything all at once.
This recipe has 3 DH additions.
Just curious if anyone has brewed this how much of a difference will there be if I just add all DH additions at once?
I once did a 2 DH addition but didnt really notice any difference so now just add all at the same time.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/862295

Scott Janish's new book has a lot of research on the subject. The research suggests that dry hopping produces the best flavors when biotransformation takes place, try dry hopping with the yeast pitch or during the initial stage of fermentation.

There's a lot more research he has on IPAs, the book is a super good read.

Scott Janish's new book has a lot of research on the subject. The research suggests that dry hopping produces the best flavors when biotransformation takes place, try dry hopping with the yeast pitch or during the initial stage of fermentation.

I've been reading that one: It's already improved my lagers, of all things!

From the notes i've taken so far, and I'm ready very slowly trying to digest, here's what I've got on maximizing flavors in an IPA.
  • IPA that was only dry hopped (no other hopping) had little to no fruit flavors
    • was significantly bitter than beers with hot side additions
  • Mash hopping at 0.5 lbs/bbl (0.25 oz per gallon) resulted in 9% utilization
    • This rate decreased as hop levels increased
  • 60 minute hop additions resulted in 44% utilization rate
  • Whirlpool hop additions had a utilization of 30%
    • IBUs peak just after 10 minutes of whirlpool
    • another 60 minutes only increased 2% utilization
  • Beers that rely on whirlpool hops for bitterness tended to lose more IBUs during fermentation
  • High gravity beers lose more IBUs during fermentation than low gravity beers
  • Dry hopping can strip away iso-alpha-acids in beer!
  • Hops need to be added to the whirlpool to maximize biotransformation
    • dry hopping late in fermentation was NOT as effective
  • A Simcoe whirlpool only (single hop) beer produced a more aromatic beer than a Simcoe dry hopped (single hop) only beer
    • Having no hot side hops resulted in far less aromatics
  • Whirlpool Temperatures
    • Beers late hopped at 203ºF scored highest for citrusy, spicy, and ester descriptors
    • Beers late hopped at 185ºF scored higher for floral and herbal descriptors
    • Beers late hopped at 167ºF scored lowest in nearly every category except for woody characteristic.

Very interested to hear more responses to your question. I typically dry hop on day 7 of a 14 day fermentation. The last 2-3 days of that are cold crashing.

I keep getting the impression the double and triple dry hopping is more to do with the size of the batch. To get a similar doage rate that we can at homebrew scale they just can't but them in the fermenter without either clogging things up or not having a large enough bag. So they do it in 2-3 batches. At least that's my guess.

I have done a bunch of batches with double dry hops and I'm now back to a bigger single dry hop. I'm sure there's a dfference, but I'm struggling to notice it.

I'm lucky to live close to Weldwerks and get to indulge in their beers often. They hold one of the best beer festivals around every June and if you're lucky enough to get a ticket, I highly recommend it. Every single beer there is top notch.
Anyway, I'm not a big NEIPA fan, but Weldwerks does a fantastic job at the style and it really is a great beer. I'd have to say most breweries don't represent the style well at all and are a big disappointment. Especially when compared to the likes of Weldwerks.
If you're an AHA member, Zymurgy had the recipe in the July/August 2018 edition.
This is what it says about the dry hop additions if it helps you at all...

Add the first dry hop addition when the beer has fermented to about 2–3° Plato from final gravity, and then add the last two dry hop additions after terminal gravity has been reached. Use fresh, unopened, sealed bags for dry hopping when possible.

Brewed this today. I did use Hornindal Kveik as I had some harvested yeast from a previous batch. Made a starter Monday. Pitched at 84 degrees 1.5 hrs ago and it's already starting.
I usually dry hop NEIPA's on day 2 or three of fermentation but I really wanted to try this one under pressure but since I sent the Fermzilla back I'm using my brew bucket. So I may just wait until day 4 and either add the 1st DH or add all at one time.

I've been following Janish for a while. Ordered his book Friday so looking forward to start reading next week.

FG ended at 1.006, 6.04% ABV. I didn't cold crash this one. Into keezer for 24 hrs then will hit with 30 PSI for 30 hrs. Should be ready by Friday or Saturday.
I didn't do multiple dry hop additions. Added all hops at the same time.

FG ended at 1.006, 6.04% ABV. I didn't cold crash this one. Into keezer for 24 hrs then will hit with 30 PSI for 30 hrs. Should be ready by Friday or Saturday.
I didn't do multiple dry hop additions. Added all hops at the same time.
I had one a few nights back. Always a great beer for sure, even though I think I prefer the DDH Juicy Bits.
What are you drinking right now?

I'll pull a sample tomorrow. Curious to see how it turned out.

Here's a photo of a sample I just pulled. Not 100% carbed but pretty taste. Picking up some pineapple, which I assume is from the Kveik yeast. It's more pronounced then previous brews with this yeast. Maybe because the temps hit 90 degrees.

Attachments

• weldwerks 092619.jpg
    weldwerks 092619.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 120

Back