Geee...I guess they can't take a joke....

American consumers aren't very smart. The whole "HFCS is bad" routine was always a red herring. Overly-sweetened foods and drinks are a potential national health problem no mater how "pure" the sugar is...it all goes straight to the liver and overloads the system. And for Bud and Coors and Miller drinkers to worry about corn or corn products in their beer is laughable. Corn has been the defining ingredient of American beer for centuries. It makes zero difference whether it's introduced to the beer as pre-converted sugars or unconverted starches. If anything the flavor is even more bland using corn syrup but the product isn't substantially better or worse for the use of it.

Similarly it always slays me to see something claim to be gluten free, like recently I saw bacon advertised as gluten free... Some people will just grab that bacon assuming all the others are teeming with glistens... Nasty glutens!
No disrespect to the poor people with Celiac disease as I poke fun.

Just be sure not to cook that gluten free bacon with an electrical appliance in your shower :)

/* begin rant */

Meanwhile, in the land of gluten-free bacon and (horrors!) corn syrup in your beer, we have the world's highest per-capita consumption of highly processed foods. American mass-market beers are good products for the market for which they are intended. In fact, from a quality professional's standpoint, they are among the best made in the world. They're consistent despite variable ingredients, they keep well.... That said, I'm not drinking them even if only water is the alternative. JA is right, American consumers are by and large stupid. Corn syrup is sugar, that's all, and highly processed sugar at that. The rice syrup the other guys use is sugar, ditto all the issues with corn syrup. Actual celiac disease is fairly rare, the average "gluten-intolerant" is upset because their gut bacteria get complex sugars and don't know how to handle them. Eat real food, people, and a lot of the problems will go away.

/* end rant */

America runs on corn. As for branding, how did it go? "Lucky Strikes, they're toasted"

Just be sure not to cook that gluten free bacon with an electrical appliance in your shower :)

Hey if there's not a warning label on it ….I smell a law suit...and crispy bacon! Reminds me of the guys that sued some lawn mower company because there wasn't a notice that the mower should NOT be used to trim hedges! I guess stupidity loves company!

Stupidity knows no bounds!

Hey if there's not a warning label on it ….I smell a law suit...and crispy bacon! Reminds me of the guys that sued some lawn mower company because there wasn't a notice that the mower should NOT be used to trim hedges! I guess stupidity loves company!
Relative of mine was working as a surgeon in the US and tells the story of two guys coming into emergency with a zip lock bag of ice and 6 fingertips from both of them that he then had to sew back on. He was told they were trying to use the lawn mower as a hedge trimmer. Not the type of guy to even understand urban myths, so he was probably telling the truth.

Considering that the recipe by itself is essentially worthless, it is somewhat amusing. I've spoken with Coors brewers and they'll tell you everything that goes into the beer. It's their yeast that is proprietary and important.

Considering that the recipe by itself is essentially worthless, it is somewhat amusing. I've spoken with Coors brewers and they'll tell you everything that goes into the beer. It's their yeast that is proprietary and important.

Yeah, I am surprised how forthcoming most commercial small brewers that I have chatted with were about their recipes and processes as I have often read that a recipe was super secret and the specific yeast strain was only known by the owner and his dog. I really don't think anyone cares except for their lawyers and like J A said, thinking that their customers care is laughable!

Right. Now what you reeeaaallly want to watch out for is that dreaded rice syrup beer right guys!! (When I saw that ad I couldn’t wait for the obvious rebuttal. But with cane sugar social media marketing campaigns getting people brainwashed about the relative evils of corn syrup I should have known that was not forthcoming.)
;p

Right. Now what you reeeaaallly want to watch out for is that dreaded rice syrup beer right guys!! (When I saw that ad I couldn’t wait for the obvious rebuttal. But with cane sugar social media marketing campaigns getting people brainwashed about the relative evils of corn syrup I should have known that was not forthcoming.)
;p

lol...in the words of punk rocker turned pop rocker, Joe Jackson...."everything gives you cancer!

The joke is that both corn and rice syrup are essentially fructose and water. Neither have much of a flavor, they're put in to increase alcohol and to thin the body. For corn syrup think light Karo syrup, a brand name here in the US. Rice syrup is similar. American Lagers are made to taste as neutral as possible without becoming club soda. It's the signature off flavor that matters, acetaldehyde in Bud and Coors, DMS in Miller...

Years ago I stuck my finger into a running hedge trimmer. After getting home from the emergency room I checked the hedge trimmer. Sure enough, there was indeed a label telling me not to stick my fingers into a running hedge trimmer! :(
If it weren't for those darn lawyers and their labels I'd be a millionaire right now! ;)

Back