Conversion calculation help

eheeke

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What am I missing here or am I mis-entering my data? It looks like another new feature was added to enter not only the total Mash Volume but also the Strike water Volume. As you can see below, if I enter my 4.25 gal strike volume and 10.5 gal total mash volume, I end up with 44.7% conversion. Seems extremely low and unrealistic. When I only enter the 10.5 gal total mash volume, I end up with 110.4%. Also not completely accurate, but a lot closer to the 100% target.
This is an all-grain recipe for a simple IPA, 4.25 gal mash at 152F, and then 6.25 gal batch sparge at 168F for a 10.5 gallon total mash.

Thanks, Eric

upload_2019-8-24_22-19-17.png

upload_2019-8-24_22-20-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-24_22-20-35.png
    upload_2019-8-24_22-20-35.png
    114 KB · Views: 93
I also had a brew session yesterday and got the same 44% conversion efficiency. My pre-boil gravity exceeded the estimate and ended up at 86% and Brewhouse efficiency at 77%. I'm pretty sure I got better than 44% conversion efficiency. Is this another fix for something that was not broke?

Please look at the input.
It's not your BATCH volume there- it's the MASH volume. So enter your strike water there, and the grain + added water are your MASH volume.

upload_2019-8-26_17-59-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-26_17-58-51.png
    upload_2019-8-26_17-58-51.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 96
Uh, why? I realize from brew day yesterday that you can leave it blank and nothing bad happens (I hope). But don't we already record strike volume in the recipe? I don't understand the point of documenting the strike water volume again here. And what happens if we do a dough-in, then an infusion (I used that procedure yesterday), then ramp to a third rest temp? Guys, I mean this kindly, just because something sounds like a good idea doesn't mean it is. This appears to be nothing more than double documentation.

And why do I need five digits of precision on strike water? If I'm within a cup, I'm ecstatic. If I'm within a quart, I'm happy.

upload_2019-8-27_8-11-23.png

I put the numbers that were expected and got 44% conversion efficiency

Uh, why? I realize from brew day yesterday that you can leave it blank and nothing bad happens (I hope). But don't we already record strike volume in the recipe? I don't understand the point of documenting the strike water volume again here. And what happens if we do a dough-in, then an infusion (I used that procedure yesterday), then ramp to a third rest temp? Guys, I mean this kindly, just because something sounds like a good idea doesn't mean it is. This appears to be nothing more than double documentation.

And why do I need five digits of precision on strike water? If I'm within a cup, I'm ecstatic. If I'm within a quart, I'm happy.

Actually, the reason for having the mash volume there is simple. If you're using quite a bit of grain and quite a bit of strike water, seeing that 'mash volume' can alert you that your mash won't fit. That's really about it.

You can leave it blank, or you can put in the value of your mash volume (if you know it).

I have no idea why others want such a precise measurement of strike water, but it was added for those who needed and wanted that level of precision.

Actually, the reason for having the mash volume there is simple. If you're using quite a bit of grain and quite a bit of strike water, seeing that 'mash volume' can alert you that your mash won't fit. That's really about it.

You can leave it blank, or you can put in the value of your mash volume (if you know it).

I have no idea why others want such a precise measurement of strike water, but it was added for those who needed and wanted that level of precision.
Ah us humans are complex creatures yooper you can't please us all:D!

I also noticed an issue when using the Grainfather. I assume that other similar systems may have this issue as well.

I cannot determine Total Mash Volume in the Grainfather. There are no volume measurements inside the mash basket.

I'm currently brewing an ordinary bitter. Regardless of whether or not I add a Mash Complete log entry, my Pre-Boil efficiency is showing 1949%.

upload_2019-9-4_14-5-32.png

upload_2019-9-4_14-8-46.png

The old version worked well for the Grainfather, and I cannot obtain correct values in the new calculation. Would it be possible to have the option of choosing either the old version or the new version for the Mash Complete log entry? Or am I not utilizing the new calculation correctly?

Update: End of brew day shows Ending Kettle and Brewhouse Efficiency are 0%.

upload_2019-9-4_15-46-36.png

upload_2019-9-4_15-47-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-4_15-43-55.png
    upload_2019-9-4_15-43-55.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 95
  • upload_2019-9-4_15-45-58.png
    upload_2019-9-4_15-45-58.png
    13 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
We've reverted the changes, so you should find that the "old" way is back, and should work well for you.

You enter the liquid volume of the mash there (the amount of water you added) and the SG to get your efficiency.

We're testing an update to resolve this issue now on the beta site and there is a discussion on the beta forum as well for those interested.

The "total mash volume" input field has been removed. In order to get your conversion efficiency, you will only need to input the total water volume used during the mash (Ie any infusions and strike volumes).

These changes have gone live on the main site now!

Back