Tilt Question

Stony300

Premium Member
Reaction score
Been using the Tilt with Brewers Friend succesfully and this recent brew is being troublesome. I can't get the Tilt to show up in my Fermentation tab. Everything looks fine, copied and pasted the URL, hit all the buttons and Save, but won't work with Brewers Friend. The Google Sheet is being updated. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks!

Are you using the forwarding option in the device settings page on this site to get the Google sheet working?

Sorry, got sent to spam and just found this. Well, all I have ever done was turn the tilt on then from my phone add the URL that Brewersfriend provided and BAM, it sent info to the Fermentation screen everytime I activated the tilt from my phone. Now, with that said. I just found a glitch on my end. Everytime I was checking the Fermentation tab it showed that it was trying to read the RED Tilt, not the correct BLUE one. Got to looking, the BLUE one was still operating in another brew. Even though I had replaced the battery and Tilt recognized a new brew. I went and completed the brew and hopefully tonight everything works as it should. (I'm still learning the Brewers Friend app and it was my first brew it was attached too.)

Thanks for the insight, I'll post tonight if things work out.

Thanks again,

Got home to the Tilt and checked, all is well. It’s sending data now that I removed it from another brew.

Thanks!!

I just got a Tilt for my 65th birthday and managed, after a bit of buggering about, got it to work - sort of.
I have an issue with the application on my Samsung - I know it's not BF fault - that every time i turn the phone app on it defaults to Fahrenheit despite setting it to Celsius... That aside, it does work and I can see it in BF though I'm still a bit confused as I don't like the Google Sheet application but that is another matter.
I will have to press on with using it - my mrs would kill me if I don't.
I am investigating how to import the data into an Excel sheet directly instead. Far more useful.

I just got a Tilt for my 65th birthday and managed, after a bit of buggering about, got it to work - sort of.
I have an issue with the application on my Samsung - I know it's not BF fault - that every time i turn the phone app on it defaults to Fahrenheit despite setting it to Celsius... That aside, it does work and I can see it in BF though I'm still a bit confused as I don't like the Google Sheet application but that is another matter.
I will have to press on with using it - my mrs would kill me if I don't.
I am investigating how to import the data into an Excel sheet directly instead. Far more useful.

Haven't had the problem with remembering config settings, but to add one gadget on top of another I find the Tilt Pi great. I ordered a simple raspberry pi kit from the internets and then followed the instructions here - https://tilthydrometer.com/products/tilt-pi-raspberry-pi-disk-image-download. I just put mine on top of the fermentation fridge and it gives you a few nice things:
  • you don't need to keep your phone near the tilt to do the logging
  • you can easily read the current status anywhere on your home wifi (http://tiltpi:1880/ui/ on the browser) and
  • it will give you logging to a csv file which you can easily download and open in Excel (though the Google sheets approach isn't that far away from Excel)

I'm trying to get the Tilt to log from a Tilt Pi to a brew session and did the following:
- Activated the correct color Tilt in the Fermentation tab of the session
- Checked the Device Settings and the correct Tilt is attached to the correct session
- Copied the API URL for the Tilt logging to the Tilt Pi's logging GUI and activated logging to cloud. Seemed to start the logging without errors.
But... I'm not getting anything logged into the brew session.
This is the first Brewer's Friend brew session I'm trying to log to. Previously I have used the Google Sheets URL and that has worked fine.
Anything I forgot, anything else I can try?

EDIT: Switched back to logging to my gmail/sheets and that worked fine and started logging there. Set the cloud URL again to brewersfriend's, then set the comment and finally got an update. After a couple of periodic updates I cleared the comment and the brew session is still being updated ok.

Last edited:
That happened for me on my first brew (the comment thing). Haven't needed to do that since.

This happened to me setting up my first Tilt run.

I finally determined that after putting the forwarding URL into the TILT page I didn't click "Return" - instead I clicked off of the field.

Apparently the tilt app is extremely sensitive to that return as a way to enter data.

Now if I could just figure out why my "No Beer" test run was able to be shared with my friends at work, but my actual brewing run is only visible to me?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I can't seem to figure this out. I can get my TiltPi to broadcast to Google Sheets successfully but still can't get it to post to BF. The iOS app works fine but my phone stays with me most of the day so not useful for real-time. I pasted the API to the cloud URL, hit <enter>, it says it's set, then i enter a comment ("Start"), and then it says to enter an email to start logging. Still have yet to get my TiltPi to log to BF successfully.

I remember the data entry on the TilePi being pretty unreasonable. I'm remodeling right now and can't repeat the operation, but it took me a long time to figure out when I did it.

I finally found places on the TiltPi GUI where you HAD to hit enter, you couldn't just tab or mouse to another field.

Are you getting the web page of the Pi to update with values? If you aren't getting that then there is nothing to forward to Brewers Friend.

Also, important safety tip, Egon. When you do have a brew going and you are going to empty the fermenter - be sure to turn off the pi before you start. I had moved my fermenter from the basement to the Kitchen, but the bluetooth still picked it up. When I drained the fermenter the Tilt laid on its side and gave crazy readings. That caused my entire batch graph to be way off since it included data that was way out of range. If you don't want your graphs blown up, be sure to turn off your pi before you drain your fermenter.

I remember the data entry on the TilePi being pretty unreasonable. I'm remodeling right now and can't repeat the operation, but it took me a long time to figure out when I did it.

I finally found places on the TiltPi GUI where you HAD to hit enter, you couldn't just tab or mouse to another field.

Are you getting the web page of the Pi to update with values? If you aren't getting that then there is nothing to forward to Brewers Friend.

Also, important safety tip, Egon. When you do have a brew going and you are going to empty the fermenter - be sure to turn off the pi before you start. I had moved my fermenter from the basement to the Kitchen, but the bluetooth still picked it up. When I drained the fermenter the Tilt laid on its side and gave crazy readings. That caused my entire batch graph to be way off since it included data that was way out of range. If you don't want your graphs blown up, be sure to turn off your pi before you drain your fermenter.

Thank you for the suggestions. Basically the TiltPi UI is available and updates fine locally but won’t send to Brewers Friend. The iOS app can update Brewers Friend but when I try to update to the cloud it asks for an email address. Put one in and then it creates a Google Sheets. Clear the email address, double check that the BF API is in the cloud address (and then hit enter), and still doesn’t update to Brewers Friend. Any ideas?

Thank you for the suggestions. Basically the TiltPi UI is available and updates fine locally but won’t send to Brewers Friend. The iOS app can update Brewers Friend but when I try to update to the cloud it asks for an email address. Put one in and then it creates a Google Sheets. Clear the email address, double check that the BF API is in the cloud address (and then hit enter), and still doesn’t update to Brewers Friend. Any ideas?

Feel pretty dumb, the TiltPi connection UI has a “Use default cloud URL” option that was selected. Unchecked and it’s working perfectly.

Thanks for posting the trick re. the default cloud URL toggle. I could not get my Tilts to upload to BF until I did the same. Turned off the toggle switch, pasted the BF URL for each Titl, then restarted. Working normally now.

Back