Bottle conditioning

MFTIC

Trial Member
Reaction score
I realize most don't do this but maybe...
1st question-Whats a good temp? I'm assuming it should be a little higher than fermentation temp. I also didn't set my heat temp so it's been colder than it should have been. I think between 65-68.
2nd- since it was colder than I wanted I shook the beers up and raised the temp to 68-71. Is it ok to do this?
3rd and last- I have 3 of those flip tops in there. Will they be ok to condition in? Originally they had cider and we're capped with the metal caps.
IMG_20190824_131337.jpg

Sorry but it seems like you are over thinking things. Anywhere in the range the manufacturer recommends for the yeast you are using will bottle condition your beer. In general the warmer the faster and the cooler the slower. Make sense?

I've bottle conditioned with no issues at temps as low as 66F (coldest temp I recorded in the room).

Shaking may not be the best. Potentially oxygenating the beer. Raising the temp would be fine. Rapid spikes are considered bad.

I bottle condition at room temp. Which at my house is 77 in the summer and 68 in the winter. No issues at either temp or anywhere in between.

Alright thank. Will let it ride..haha, like i had a choice.

Shook it because i thought all the yeast had settled and it wouldn't carb up. My bad.

If it's already bottled shaking it won't hurt it. Just chill it before you serve it for a day or two to make all the solids drop out to the bottom and pour carefully so you don't get any of the trub at the bottom in your glass.

No worries.

I realize most don't do this but maybe...
1st question-Whats a good temp? I'm assuming it should be a little higher than fermentation temp. I also didn't set my heat temp so it's been colder than it should have been. I think between 65-68.
2nd- since it was colder than I wanted I shook the beers up and raised the temp to 68-71. Is it ok to do this?
3rd and last- I have 3 of those flip tops in there. Will they be ok to condition in? Originally they had cider and we're capped with the metal caps.
View attachment 7002

1- Anywhere from 65-75 is a good temperature to condition at.
2- Only tip the bottles to re-suspend the yeast if three weeks have passed since bottling and you're finding the beer hasn't carbed up yet.
3- I use brown 1 litre flip tops to bottle all of my beer. They work great and I never have an issue with seals leaking. Just be aware with clear bottles that you need to be very careful to keep them away from light. Brown and green glass provide some protection but the clear ones offer none at all. As long as you condition and store them in the dark before putting them in the fridge to chill, you'll be fine.

(happy face) Thanks Drew (and everyone else of course!)

*Been a little worried about those flip tops since they came from the store capped.

Back