Total Newbie - Looking at equipment

Dan_Lock

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I am just starting to look into home brewing and I am trying to work out what equipment I should purchase. Looking to jump straight into all grain brewing which I know will be a steep learning curve.

I cannot really utilise the kitchen so will be brewing in the garage. As I do not have access to the kitchen, I need to look at the best option in regards to boiling. I was originally looking at something like the Klarstein Maischfest Mash Kettle- https://www.klarstein.co.uk/cl=details&cnid=d5de636772474df01690626dae61c46b&anid=310bdfc7008747d9358767de89cb2c7a&varselid[0]=ce01c0bcac0375f6b3509c8371f3b65a

However, I have also seen the all-in-one systems such as the Brew Devil single vessel all in one micro-brewery system - https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/brew-devil/387-pre-order-deal-50l-brewdevil-microbrewery.html

As I said, I am a total newbie, so I am trying to work out the additional benefit of the all in one systems over just the kettle. Is it worth the additional cost?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Brewers Friend!
There are many, many ways to make beer!
@BOB357 has a Digiboil. If I recall correctly, he got a great deal on it, and he likes it. Judging by the links and the prices being in £'s, I assume that you are in the UK. I wish you good luck, and happy brewing!

If I were starting over in all-grain, I'd look for one of the all-in-ones, as you seem to be. Good luck with it!

It also depends on batch size and how much you want to invest. An all-in-one electric works well for small batches (1-5 gallons), but the electric load and movement of spent grain gets to be cumbersome for larger batches. I would also do some research into how you want to control your fermentation temperature. I find that is one of the keys to making a reasonably good beer (and there are probably dozens of ways to do it).

Pretty sure the Mundschenk is comparable the Robobrew they sell here. It's a great value when compared to some of the more dear all in one systems, if you aren't interested in wifi and all the other bells and whistles.
Welcome to the best homebrew forum there is.

I would echo the idea of controlling fermentation temperature, that was a game changer for me for beer quality.

Ditto on fermentation temperature, but that shouldn't be much of a problem in a lot of England most of the time. I know when we toured Ireland, in mid May thru early June, we didn't see 70F, even as far south as Dingle. For lagers, yes, but not so much for ales.

This English guy does some great reviews comparing grain father vs robo brew and such forth he is a wealth of info.

Welcome to the fermentor.

If I were starting over in all-grain, I'd look for one of the all-in-ones, as you seem to be. Good luck with it!
Same here. I still may lol. I've made googly eyes at the Brewzilla V3 a few times. I know it's all convenience, but sometimes I need a little of that...

Welcome friend. Im in the exact same position as you, so im just following this thread.

Welcome friend. Im in the exact same position as you, so im just following this thread.
I've built my system over time, adding pumps and kettles, false bottoms, plumbing, a RIMS tube and controller... I can make good beer on it. But if you can start with something that is put together and has an operating manual, I'd start there. I can't advise which system to try but you'll be making beer a lot faster if someone else has done the engineering for you.

I couldn't possibly advise on kit but would say that, as others have said, controlling fermentation temps is an interesting challenge. I started in winter and used a soil warming element cut into Kingspan and controlled by an STC1000; a bit Heath Robinson but very effective. Now with the warmer weather cooling is the issue and I'm using a stainless loop from inside a remote cellar cooler with an under-bar chiller, another setup that Mr. Heath and Mr. Robinson would have appreciated. Again very effective though.

If you need insulation for FVs I can find a link to the stuff I used, cheap as chips from Toolstation.

Build on what you have is my advice.

Get a hold of one of the brewing bibles and decide what path to follow. If you do the extract method as a starting position you would only have to build or buy a mash tun to get into all grain and you really could get by with a large stock pot and cook up in the garage on a turkey fryer with extract. A bucket for fermenting and the bottling tools. If you wanted to jump in as an all grainer to start with, it's a little more complex but I did it and did it on the cheap. Look on Craig's List, look on all the boards on the Internet...take a look at the thread on this board for the diverse sets of rigs we all use. There is no shortage of ideas out there! Welcome!

I'm new to homebrewing myself, I've done 3 extract batches and am currently building an all grain setup with a discount store stainless pot for a mash tun and an old milker bucket for a HLT. I'll post pictures of it in a thread when I get it finished.

I'm new to homebrewing myself, I've done 3 extract batches and am currently building an all grain setup with a discount store stainless pot for a mash tun and an old milker bucket for a HLT. I'll post pictures of it in a thread when I get it finished.
For sure would love to see your progress good luck ask questions if you get hung up on anything.

For sure would love to see your progress good luck ask questions if you get hung up on anything.

Well right now I'm waiting on a new drill bit, burned up BOTH my 7/8 bi-metal hole saw blades putting a bulkhead in the pot. Wife is picking me up one at Menards on her way back from running some errands. As long as everything tests out leak free tomorrow, I'll be brewing a batch of "Dirty Bohemian Lager 2.0" (Dirty Boh for short)soon. The first one is almost depleted...not really all that great, but not that bad either. LOL

I'll post some pictures and a short description of the setup I'm building when I run off the first batch with it.

I would recommend the BIAB method of brewing. You will need a large kettle to accommodate the brewing volume. Probably 4-5 gallons more than what you will need to boil. It is a very simple procedure, but you may need to implement a way to hoist the bag if you can not lift it your self. Also, a kettle with 35 liters may be very heavy.

Hi, guys, recently I found out about this product... do you think it would be a good choice for a beginner to start with?

BeerDroid Fully Automated Brewing System

If you're not in Australia, you won't be able to purchase their ingredient kits. You'll also need to either bottle or keg the end product, which will require some knowledge and additional equipment. Any warranty or support issues could be problematic if shipping was involved. Without going into any other issues, these points would dissuade me from considering this system.

Back