PPG of some Sugar fermentables seems incorrect

lonelymtn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My last couple of brew days have involved using some sugar fermentables, and I haven't been able to dial in why my numbers are slightly off. Seeing as the sugar(s) as late additions was the recent change, I started digging in. I found, in the BF inventory that Cane Sugar, Corn Sugar, and Invert Sugar all have a PPG listed as 46.

I don't think that is correct.

Sites listing Corn Sugar (dextrose) as 42 PPG:
The first two sites also show Invert Sugar to have a PPG closer to 36.

I am sure that evidence can be submitted that will point to all of the above having a PPG of 46, but I can at least state from my own personal tests that if I manually change Dextrose to a PPG of 42, my measured OG and that estimated by BF line up.

I'll give this some thought and research. I did a quick look and saw that we have very similar numbers to other brewing software packages, so I"m not sure where to find more exact numbers for all cases.

My last couple of brew days have involved using some sugar fermentables, and I haven't been able to dial in why my numbers are slightly off. Seeing as the sugar(s) as late additions was the recent change, I started digging in. I found, in the BF inventory that Cane Sugar, Corn Sugar, and Invert Sugar all have a PPG listed as 46.

I don't think that is correct.

Sites listing Corn Sugar (dextrose) as 42 PPG:
The first two sites also show Invert Sugar to have a PPG closer to 36.

I am sure that evidence can be submitted that will point to all of the above having a PPG of 46, but I can at least state from my own personal tests that if I manually change Dextrose to a PPG of 42, my measured OG and that estimated by BF line up.
He's right: Corn sugar is a hydrate, part of its mass is water so 42 ppg is correct. Sucrose is anhydrous so 46 works. I think where the invert sugar issue mentioned comes in is that he's referring to syrup, 36 ppg would be correct there. If there were solid invert sugar available, it would be similar to corn sugar - glucose hydrate - at 42 ppg.

These have been updated. Please let me know if there are any other issues with the sugar types!

Back