Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Haven't been able to get this from local outlets for a couple of years now, and would like to try and make something at least inspired by it. I read that this is one that it is better to add brewing salts to the boil (on the interwebs, so it must be true...). The mash pH comes out good with RO water, no additions.

A) how does the recipe look (not mine, I poached it, and edited it a bit)?

B) any thoughts on whether to treat the strike water at all, or to as I was reading, add salts to the boil to "season the beer"?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/770326/samuel-smith-celebrated-oatmeal-stout

TIA folks!

I've added salts before at end of mash before boil mainly calcium carbonate if I'm looking for more hardness and down wanna throw out mash PH. I'll be doing this with the BF community recipie stout I've done it with last two brown ales and I'm liking the malt flavour. But it's.just my experimentation with my water source and it's all just brewlogical not based on any hard scientific evidence just what seems logical to me as a brewer:confused::).

We add salts in brewing to manipulate the flavours but also to a degree the PH a point or two so what I've been doing using the water calculator is getting my mash ph right with calcium sulphate and lactic acid but adding the chalk at boil that way the mash is sorted so boil PH isn't (in my limited experience ) as important.

So I'm saying if your mash ph for that grist seems within range add your seasoning salts to the boil.

What salts are you adding btw recipie doesn't show?

Thanks Ben, I added some gypsum, Epsom, and pickling salt (not sure why it only lets me enter table salt). I would like to increase the Calcium, but I can't figure out how to that without increasing the chlorides.

Thanks Ben, I added some gypsum, Epsom, and pickling salt (not sure why it only lets me enter table salt). I would like to increase the Calcium, but I can't figure out how to that without increasing the chlorides.
I don't know why they don't just say sodium chloride. They use pickling salt to differentiate from iodized table salt. The iodine in iodized table salt harms yeast and should not be used in beer. Pickling salt has no iodine. You can use any non-iodized salt.

I don't know why they don't just say sodium chloride. They use pickling salt to differentiate from iodized table salt. The iodine in iodized table salt harms yeast and should not be used in beer. Pickling salt has no iodine. You can use any non-iodized salt.
Thanks Nosy
What do you think of my water additions/profile for this brew?
Any suggestions?

Should work. With this much flavor in the beer, I doubt you'd get much of an effect on flavor from the salts.

Back