Not all advice is good.

hockeynut

Trial Member
Reaction score
In an effort to brew a clearer beer, I read somewhere that if you use your whole cones as a filter prior to bottling, it will naturally trap the suspended particles in the cones resulting in a clear beer. Total Bull$&it!!! It washed out additional shit and made my beer into something I am not sure I want to drink. I have not added the priming sugar yet and I am considering sealing it back up and letting it settle for a few days. Any advice other than don't do that again?

You could add gelatin to try and drop some of the particles. It sounds like you've mostly got hop debris though, not sure if gelatin works on that as well as it does proteins and yeast particles.

In an effort to brew a clearer beer, I read somewhere that if you use your whole cones as a filter prior to bottling, it will naturally trap the suspended particles in the cones resulting in a clear beer. Total Bull$&it!!! It washed out additional shit and made my beer into something I am not sure I want to drink. I have not added the priming sugar yet and I am considering sealing it back up and letting it settle for a few days. Any advice other than don't do that again?
Welcome to the internet, where it's all true. Especially the lies. Sorry for your experience and remember, much of what you read about homebrewing on the internet consists of someone's n=1 experiment. It worked once so it's gospel. Or someone is quoting some brewing deity who made their mark advising people brewing 1,000 barrels at a time (your hop advice seems to have come from one of those sources). Read good books on homebrewing. Find trustworthy references. This site is a good resource with little dogma and very little one-upsmanship.

I have to chalk this one up to a learning experience, the hard way. I am new to this and only have 10 brews under my belt. All successful extract brews and learning along the way. I saw the results after a couple of gallons filtered. I quit the process and proceeded to just dump the remaining beer into the bottling bucket with the filtered 2 gallons. The taste was spot on. I guess I will just change the name from my Spruce Spring Stein to my Hazy Spruce Spring Stein and enjoy the lesson learned. Thanks for the responses, happy brewing.

Sorry that happened to you, but I thank you for sharing the experience. "Not all advice is good advice" should be a bumper sticker. The more I read about brewing, the more I realize it's all relative. What works great for one person with their automatic brewing system might be horrible advice for an extract brewer, and so on.
Locking in your system and knowing what works for you is the only way to know for sure. To that end, brew, brew again, and then brew some more. Thankfully this is a super cool hobby.

If someone spouts BS here, 10 people will dispute it. I spend a lot of time on this site because the people here aren't a bunch of egomaniacs that are sure they know more than the next guy. Welcome to BF, without the BS :)

If someone spouts BS here, 10 people will dispute it. I spend a lot of time on this site because the people here aren't a bunch of egomaniacs that are sure they know more than the next guy. Welcome to BF, without the BS :)
A here, here to that Bob!
This site is called Brewers "Friend", and rightly so, nothing but good friendly, and thoughtful advice here!

I'm super confused how that was even supposed to work.

In golf the more experienced players say “never take advice from a 18 handicapper.” Keep brewing, enter a competition some day and on the inter web, deploy the old BS filter.

I'm almost sure that it was Gordon Strong that used some whole cones in his kettle, which had a false bottom, to help filter out sediment and transfer clear wort to the fermenter. Could it be that you took something like that out of context?
In golf the more experienced players say “never take advice from a 18 handicapper.” Keep brewing, enter a competition some day and on the inter web, deploy the old BS filter.

I'll take all the advice I can get from an 18 handicapper. Most of it would surely improve my game :)

Have a good trip Dan. Ride safe and ride easy! You're safe to leave now. Callie will be out of SDAK early tomorrow morning:)
Say howdy to Lisa for us

OK I can see that making some sense, I have no idea how cones in the fermenter would help. Frankly I hate using cones, they take up a ton of space and are a beast to try and clean up.

For bottling I would honestly recommend cold crashing and gelatin fining if you want clear bottled beer. Stir up the sediment as little as possible before transferring to a bottling bucket.

I use the same procedure for kegging as you do for bottling. I can't see the extra loss that comes with whole cones either. They'd probably plug up the spigot on my fermenter too.
There is some crazy stuff floating around out there. Saw a post a couple of days ago where this guy was trying a new procedure to emulate open fermentation. After pitching his yeast he had been aerating once or twice a day. When I told him he was just making a big starter he argued that he'd seen a microbiologist doing something similar on YouTube. That's what brought context to mind.

Yeah that's how I keg too, but didn't want to phrase it in a way that precluded bottling. Once it's cold crashed and fined, you can put it in anything you bloody well want really. That's kind of the point you're not supposed to agitate it though.

I misspoke. I cold crash before transfer and then fine in the keg.

I go back and forth on when I do it. I don't have a good answer which is best or even more effective. I feel like in the keg would be more effective as it would be in there longer, but after a day or two I'm also assuming it's all dropped to the bottom anyway.

After I transfer and carry the keg to my keezer, I mix up the gelatin and dump it in before connecting the CO2 and purging. Seems to take the least effort, and that's usually a determining factor for me :)

That's an entirely valid reason.

Back