Brewing with Candy Syrup

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but here it goes. I want to brew an IPA with candy syrup. When is the optimal time to add the syrup? I have not been using a secondary ferm. Thanks for your help!

Anytime is fine...it's just extra sugar for fermentation. Might as well throw it in the kettle as a late addition. Any character it might add will be lost in an IPA so it's just going to add ABV and thin the body of the beer somewhat.

so did I waste money (not much) thinking that the syrup would provide flavor in the final brew?

Reactions: J A
so did I waste money (not much) thinking that the syrup would provide flavor in the final brew?
Depends how dark. Really dark and flavoursome, maybe. But the lighter candy syrups are generally just expensive table sugar (though plenty of people can convince themselves it makes a difference, but then I do that with many things myself).

its Blood Orange syrup, very light in color. I'll add it late in the boil see what happens

Blood Orange is going to be different from Candi-syrup.What's the actual product you're talking about? Puree is very different from syrup if that's what you have.

If you used light Candi syrup, yes, all you did was add inverted table sugar. Darker syrups have quite a bit of flavor. And I'm confused about the blood orange thing. Most candi syrups aren't flavored. I think you may be talking about a different kind of syrup and if so, it's the flavor that matters. The sugars in the syrup will ferment, you'll get alcohol and lowered body.

Candi syrup is inverted sucrose (table sugar) syrup that may have been caramelized to make it darker. I believe you are talking about a flavored simple syrup, which is a supersaturated sucrose syrup, no inversion, just a lot of sugar in water. And finally, puree is just fruit run through a blender, I don't think you're talking about that and besides, for blood oranges, it's the zest, the outer layer of the skin, that carries most of the flavor.

My tiny experience with IPAs I found out adding "special" sugar types really makes no difference. At least not in my taste buds. Who knows you may be on to something here with that "blood orange thing" you're trying out, but i never heard about it :)

It smelled great going into the fermenter and I took a taste test beforehand. I'll see what the finished product gives me in a few more days.

I've been adding Blood Orange Juice from the fruit (not Puree) to IPAs & Saisons for years. I used the puree the 1st couple of times but took an additional step to end up with juice as the puree consumed almost a gallon at transfer to the keg. I add it to the secondary & often fermentation restarts. I get raves at Brewers night.
I also use Palisades Peaches in the Saison. Another set of raves.

I've been adding Blood Orange Juice from the fruit (not Puree) to IPAs & Saisons for years. I used the puree the 1st couple of times but took an additional step to end up with juice as the puree consumed almost a gallon at transfer to the keg. I add it to the secondary & often fermentation restarts. I get raves at Brewers night.
I also use Palisades Peaches in the Saison. Another set of raves.
The juice makes more sense than a blood orange candi syrup... I can imagine it would give it some really interesting flavors. I've also done the Palisade Peach thing: I lost so much beer to fruit pulp I don't think I'll try it again. Are you talking about Brewer's Night at the Brew Hut in Aurora? If so, let me know who you are (private message) so we can do a bottle swap next time.

So now you've got me curious! (cuz I love blood oranges). Does the blood orange juice add any color, and when would be the best time to add it? I am working on a pale tripel, but I want just a tinge of pink in it, and all the specialty malts I've tried ruin the pale color.

And how much would be appropriate for a 5 gallon batch to add just a touch of color?

Back