Edit Steps in Brew Session?

Browmore5

Trial Member
Reaction score
I would like to not just be able to add a step at the end of a section in the brew session but would like to place it in the correct place within a section. I would also like to see the ability to not just delete a step but to be able to edit that step with additional custom info. I am new to brewing and have used the brew session as a guide but without being able to edit where needed I have missed important steps (like activating my dry yeast so it is ready in time). I am finding that I need several step sheets to make sure everything is covered and that is not why I joined BF - I'm trying to get everything I need in one place.
I would really like to be able to make a custom outline of brew steps or have ones that could be easily edit and then run a brew session based on that outline, and then be able to further edit steps if needed. Maybe this already exists but I have not been able to find it nor have I been able to locate a discussion on it. Lots of great helpful info and I need all the help I can get, but takes forever to search through it.

We have that- have you checked in your brew steps, and made the changes you need?
upload_2019-2-18_16-2-39.png

From there, you can add custom steps, remove ones you don't need, reorder them, etc.

upload_2019-2-18_16-3-53.png

For editing existing steps I just add my own variation on the existing one. Use the sort button to put it in the right order and delete the original. Not a big deal for me. Though I'd love to see these steps linked to the recipe so that I didn't have to do it for each batch.

Hey Mark you can mak your own steps as outlined by yooper but not per recipe.

Hey thanks guys, your info was a big help as I begin to start my 4th batch. I knew I was missing something and the 'sort steps' button did not catch my eye. Adding and sorting should help immensely in getting a step list for my brew sessions. I'm with Mark on making a custom list and linking so it doesn't have to be done for each brew session. I am happy to see there's a little more flexibility in the step process because I was just about to give up and use my spreadsheet instead. Thanks again.

Still can not edit a step, If you add a step that's not exactly right - guess you have to type it all over again. Please give us an editor for the steps, it would save all kinds of time.

I'm with Browmore5. Would love to be able to edit steps directly, not just the custom steps but the default ones too.
Yes, it's quite straightforward to copy, re-add, re-sort, delete original... but a pain, especially for correcting 1-letter typos.

Oh... and timers would be awesome as well! :p

+1 to all who ask for custom steps. I used the Brew Session for the first time and found it helpful but also had to sidestep, duck and dodge some of the procedures b cause they don't align with my method. It would be great to be able to create a personalized Brew Session which would probably be 95% accurate for all brew days. Then have it easily adjustable based on recipe, size, etc.
Great site. It might take a few recipes for me to work it all out and fully grasp the process, but it has already become a "must have". Really helped me with adjusting my water profile.

Hi there Megary - to be clear, the brew steps are customizable the issue is that you can't have more than one set of brew steps so if you have a dunkel that you decoct or an imperial IPA that takes two mashes because your mash tun is only 10 gallons but you need twelve to do the whole batch you are stuck with generic brew steps so the idea at least for me is to have customized brew steps that you can attach to a recipe. Brew steps are specific to a recipe not just equipment.

+1 to all who ask for custom steps. I used the Brew Session for the first time and found it helpful but also had to sidestep, duck and dodge some of the procedures b cause they don't align with my method. It would be great to be able to create a personalized Brew Session which would probably be 95% accurate for all brew days. Then have it easily adjustable based on recipe, size, etc.
Great site. It might take a few recipes for me to work it all out and fully grasp the process, but it has already become a "must have". Really helped me with adjusting my water profile.

As was mentioned, we have that. You can add/delete/change any brew steps. I don’t need to be told to “gather your equipment”, so I deleted that and changed to check my mash pH at 10 minutes in, and my boil pH in the kettle. They are fully customizable and you shouldn’t have any issues doing that. If you need assistance, please let us know.

I have not been using the brew steps, pretty much just use the log for keeping track of data.

Back