21g Hallertau Mitt FWH

~20 IBU
WY2565 slurry
yellow balanced water
mash pH = 5.25

Ferment @ 59F for 72 hours then let free rise to 64F

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Should work. I'd sub in Vienna for the Munich. Not sure about the "yellow balanced water" though....:D

Should work. I'd sub in Vienna for the Munich. Not sure about the "yellow balanced water" though....:D

Thanks. Previous batches used some Vienna and a bit of wheat. The wheat was useless and I think I prefer Munich to Vienna in general though I may swap.

Sorry, I'm referring to yellow balanced water in Bru'n Water.

Ends up something like this:
Ca - 56 ppm
Mg - 6
Na -15
SO4 - 75
Cl - 60

What temp are you pitching at? High 60's then chamber it for 3 days at 59?

Good question. Probably as close to 59F as possible but realistically closer to low 60s with chest freezer set in the 50s to bring it down. I do dual stage immersion chillers which still isn’t great as it starts to get warmer here.

Last edited:
Scheduled to brew this tomorrow. Using slurry harvested from a batch kegged less than a week ago. Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Traditional grain bills as referenced by professional german brewing literature are:

95/5 (pils/carahell) ( the one I use)
85/15 ( pils/vienna)

I bitter to 18ibu with a single noble addition
1.048-1.009

Thanks Brian. I thought I read from you somewhere that Vienna malt was only used in Festival beers as it pertains to German styles. Must be imagining things!

Any advice on water profile?

Thanks Brian. I thought I read from you somewhere that Vienna malt was only used in Festival beers as it pertains to German styles. Must be imagining things!

Any advice on water profile?

Well Kolsch is a world all its own.

Soft water.

Traditional grain bills as referenced by professional german brewing literature are:

95/5 (pils/carahell) ( the one I use)
85/15 ( pils/vienna)

I bitter to 18ibu with a single noble addition
1.048-1.009
I'd guess the 95/5 is the "most" traditional but I like that 5-15% Vienna with pilsner for Koelsch, Helles, even Pilsner! Rounds out the malt flavor quite nicely, darkens the color slightly, and vastly improves the beer. Love the quote, by the way!

Brew session couldn’t have gone better. Overshot my SG because I’m still dialing in my system after getting a new grain mill. 3-1/2 hours from start to clean up which I’m pleased with. I’ve got dinged on this one before for fermentation so had a nice healthy pitch of yeast. Pitched a bit warmer at 63F but will bring it down to 58-59 over the next few hours.

Back