Reusing Oak Cubes

FPMBomb

Premium Member
Reaction score
After listening to a Podcast with Vinny Cirlurzo where he mentioned that his original recipe for Blind Pig included Oak in with the Dry Hop, I threw some medium French Oak cubes into the dry hop of an IPA I had just brewed. I package said IPA today. Can I dry those cubes and reuse them?

I package said IPA today. Can I dry those cubes and reuse them?
They're going to hold a lot of the hop flavor from the IPA so don't expect to use them on a stout or something. I wouldn't dry them but rather soak them in Vodka or Bourbon until you plan to use them next.

They've also lost most of their 'oakiness'. Vinnie uses the same oak for sours, which have the bacteria on them to culture, but it's not for oaking flavors in the beer, if I remember correctly what he said.

Reactions: J A
Or you could use JA's advice but add the vodka instead of the chips as a few months in the vodka will get the most of the oakiness into the vodka. Sort of like an oak tincture.

Or whatever spirit if you were looking for another flavour as well as the oak.

Throw them on the grill after you've washed them and retoast. That'll refresh them.

Honestly, after using them, the oak characteristics will be significantly diminished and what you do get out of them will take considerably longer to extract.
Oak cubes are cheap, just use new ones.
My 2 cents.
Cheers,
Brian

Back