Extract. I need to fill a keg!

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quick keg filler, good extract recipe. I need something nice and light to please all. I've got a couple of brew days coming up, but I'd like something quick and easy for today if anyone has something they rely on in such sitiations!

A simple English Bitter is my suggestion. Light/Golden DME with a little dark extract and steeped Crystal for color and flavor, simple hop schedule using East Kent Golding. Nottingham yeast will ferment it in a few days and drop like a rock for quick clearing.

I think Ozarks did an extract speed brew recently, if I recall he said it turned out real good.

I'm looking for a quick keg filler, good extract recipe. I need something nice and light to please all. I've got a couple of brew days coming up, but I'd like something quick and easy for today if anyone has something they rely on in such sitiations!
How big? Here's about as easy as it gets: Per gallon, a pound of DME - gives an OG of 1.042. I add a quarter-pound of sugar per gallon to cut the "thickness" I perceive around DME-based beers. Brings the OG up to around 1.052. Hops: About 15-25 IBUs of the hop of your choice. You can do one addition, multiple additions, whirlpool, your choice. If you want it darker, get some Sinamar, a color extract with a slight roasty flavor and add until the beer is as dark as you want. Yeast is your choice, a packet of American Ale dry yeast, manufacturer of choice, works but you could even use Saison yeast and make a sessionable Saison out of it - might want to adjust the hop rate. Ferment it out per your yeast choice, package and you're good to go in about a week if you cold-crash.

You'll have to adjust the water amounts to fit your system. Distilled or RO is recommended for rehydrating extract but if your tap water is good, it'll add its flavor as well.

I've done that basic beer several times. Even as a simple all grain brew it's quick and easy and it's always a crowd pleaser. I may have to do something like that to fill a tap for the 4th of July.

Back