Low Profile Faucet

Hank Plantagenet

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas for a faucet for a very-specific (and perhaps unusual) application.

I am building a small kegerator for my kitchen and installing it in the space occupied originally by a trash compactor and most-recently by a small wine cooler (now moving to the bar area). As an aside, I was surprised to find only THREE refrigerators sized properly for this space. The selection is much more limited than I had anticipated, but I did find them.

So, my problem is the faucet. For a variety of reasons, I do NOT want to drill through the counter for a top-mount faucet and have decided upon a front-mount faucet instead. As such, the faucet will be located in such a way that it will be far too easy to brush against it and accidentally turn it on. I want to avoid (1) constantly snagging things on the faucet and/or (2) draining a keg onto my kitchen floor.

(Believe it or not, the latter has actually happened to me. I had a pressurized Corny keg of carbonated water sitting in the utility room with a basic quick release faucet attached to the liquid post. My Ridgeback rubbed against it, opened the faucet and drained 5 gallons of carbed water onto the floor and a small canister of CO2 into the atmosphere.)

Anyway, I have several ideas for the faucet on the new installation, probably in the following order of preference. Ideally, I would find a combination of (1) and (2).

One is finding the smallest, lowest-profile faucet on the market. Any suggestions?

Second is finding a faucet that will NOT draw ONLY by pulling the handle, but which would require the thirsty user to also press a “safety button” of some sort. Perhaps one you would need to first push “down” and THEN “pull.” Does such a thing exist?

Lastly, perhaps a spring-loaded faucet, which would return to the off position if the handle is released. At a minimum, this would LIMIT spillage in the case of an incidental “bump” by a passing person (or large dog).

Barring any of these options, the cabinet is substantially deeper than the depth of any of the fridge units, so I can always recess the fridge by a 3-6 inches, such that the faucet does not extend beyond any of the surrounding cabinets. I would prefer not to use this option for several reasons. First, it will take some serious effort to match the carpentry to the existing woodwork. Second, it would just look odd to have a recessed fridge door, set back into the kitchen cabinets.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Make a false front that only had the faucets recessed.

If you enclose the refrigerator, make sure you allow for air exchanges. Otherwise, your fridge won’t cool properly.

If you enclose the refrigerator, make sure you allow for air exchanges. Otherwise, your fridge won’t cool properly.
Thanks. This fridge is designed to fit into the trash compactor space, so it vents bottom front, just like the wine cooler that is currently using that location.

But thanks for the reminder. The wine cooler seems to be run ing a bit hot, and I need to vacuum that front vent.

Last edited:
You can buy springs that insert into you tap shank that will auto close the tap after pouring your beer. Also I know I've seen locks for your beer taps to stop sneaky thirsty visitors from taking a free sample.
That is a clever device for the carport kegerator!

While it would certainly prevent accidental pours, it would make things too difficult for ME to draw a pint, I think.

I can't count the number of times I've cussed the beer taps on my keezer collar. I'll have to see about getting some sort of springs for them but I don't think they're forward sealing so there'll be a different solution than the simple internal spring.
If you're buying new faucets just get the self-closers to start with.
Here's a cheap example: http://www.brewinternational.com/beer-faucet-self-closing-faucet-chrome/

I can't count the number of times I've cussed the beer taps on my keezer collar. I'll have to see about getting some sort of springs for them but I don't think they're forward sealing so there'll be a different solution than the simple internal spring.
If you're buying new faucets just get the self-closers to start with.
Here's a cheap example: http://www.brewinternational.com/beer-faucet-self-closing-faucet-chrome/
those stick too, trust me I just replaced all of mine, I've never had an issue with Intertap and i even bought chrome and have springs

those stick too, trust me I just replaced all of mine, I've never had an issue with Intertap and i even bought chrome and have springs
Yeah, forward sealing is the best all-around whatever brand they are.

I never have a problem with my church key, either.... :D

Back