honey wheat

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Not a style that I would normally brew but my buddy is a beekeeper and gave me a jar of honey. As you can tell, shooting for something with a bit more ABV and using a decent amount of honey malt to help push any honey character. I'm planning on adding the honey at the beginning of chilling though I realize I would probably get better results from a fermentor addition as activity slows. Some lemon zest will go in toward the end of fermentation as well.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/746904/fuhgoff-honey-wheat

You'll get more honey flavor from the honey malt than from the actual honey. The honey, simple sugar, will thin the beer's body, an effect you may not want in this beer. And if you add it hot, the bit of flavor you can get out of it might go up in smoke, or rather steam. I like the lemon zest idea. Honey malt can get cloying in too large amounts, something to be aware of, but it looks like a rather refreshing wheat beer.

Thanks. I am expecting a light body and high attenuation from the honey. Part of the recipe design. I added 12 oz of honey malt partly to add some body back as well as honey flavor. I've never worked with honey before an am not expecting much if any flavor. I hear the chances are greater if you using something locally sourced like I have.

Last edited:
Sounds like you designed what you wanted, then. Let us know how it comes out.

Aside: I've used lemongrass in wheat beers to get a nice citrus flavor. It's more citronella than lemon, though.

Lemongrass would be a good option. I've used it with lime in a blonde before but it's been a while. Thanks for the suggestion.

It looks fine but I think I'd save the good honey for my biscuits and use some generic bulk stuff for the beer. Whatever subtle flavors you might get from the honey will be pretty completely overshadowed by the other flavors in the beer.

I've got this laying around with no other use for it. Not a big biscuit guy I guess. Just going to go for it. I’m cheap so if I was actually buying honey I would go with the cheap stuff. Thanks

Last edited:
Similar to previous replies, in my experience honey tends to thin and dry a beer, but not add much flavor... However, in what looks like an attempt at refreshing beer, this is probably a desired quality. I like this recipe.

Similar to previous replies, in my experience honey tends to thin and dry a beer, but not add much flavor... However, in what looks like an attempt at refreshing beer, this is probably a desired quality. I like this recipe.

Thanks. I added the lemon zest about 1 week into fermentation. Cold crashed last night and will keg tomorrow. A few days ago it had fallen to 1.011 which puts it at about 6.2% ABV. The sample was tasting sort of strange at that point so it will definitely need some time to come together. It should be an interesting take on an American wheat.

Thanks. I added the lemon zest about 1 week into fermentation. Cold crashed last night and will keg tomorrow. A few days ago it had fallen to 1.011 which puts it at about 6.2% ABV. The sample was tasting sort of strange at that point so it will definitely need some time to come together. It should be an interesting take on an American wheat.
Look forward to hearing how she turns out!

The beer is obviously young but the honey character has come through as I hoped although you wouldn’t necessarily notice it as honey. The floral, nectar quality of the wild flower honey is apparent in flavor and aroma.

Hopefully it sticks around as the beer ages. Very pleased but not too surprised from what I’ve read. Could just be me judging a beer way too early as usual...

The beer is obviously young but the honey character has come through as I hoped although you wouldn’t necessarily notice it as honey. The floral, nectar quality of the wild flower honey is apparent in flavor and aroma.

Hopefully it sticks around as the beer ages. Very pleased but not too surprised from what I’ve read. Could just be me judging a beer way too early as usual...
Not at all I've found the flavours you get up front early meld a bit but that's pretty much what you've got.

Back