Boil Coil and fittings

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if it is ok if a SS 90, being used as a dip tube, can touch the boil coil element?

Anyone know if it is ok if a SS 90, being used as a dip tube, can touch the boil coil element?
If the heating element is immersed in the wort, the element is being cooled and the outside of the element should not become so hot as to harm any components. If, on the other hand, there is no wort to cool the element, the element will approach 800-1000F or more. Now you have problems. It would be better to avoid touching the two, but if it does, I doubt it will hurt anything.

I doubt the heating element in wort exceeds 250F, is more likely closer to 220F.

I don't know but to be safe I'd try to avoid touching the heating element.

I talked to Dave at High Gravity Brewing, where I bought my set up, and he said it was not an issue, also sent an email the Blichman guys as well, still waiting for a reply from them

We used to boil water in paper cups when I was in boy scouts LOL. Of course the cup burns down to the water line . . .

it was more from an electrical standpoint
There is no issue from an electrical standpoint as long as everything is grounded properly. If fit's not grounded properly, your least worry is if it's touching your dip tube. The outside of the heating element is electrically isolated from the voltage/current input, if the element fails and the AC voltage comes in contact with the outside of the element, the ground connection protects the user from electrical shock. Should the element fail like this, it's not uncommon to see a hole in the element. These types of failures aren't very common, but I have seen them. If everything is in working order, your fine.

yes, the electric is rock solid....i figured i was worried about nothing, but worth an ask

Go for it!

I wouldn’t.
So then this is a bad idea too?
BE-000355-03-2.jpg
Boil_Coil_Spacer.jpeg

I dunno, like I said... Go for it!

You need those spacers in the larger boil coils, install if they came with yours.

Like High Voltage Man Said as long as there is a good earth on the element and kettle you'll be find. It's when electricity tries to find an earth through YOU that you get a jolt!

I admit I was a bit cautious about scraping the element in my kettle with my metal mash spoon but yeah no dramas.
I've physically made sure my kettle is earthed/ Grounded by attaching the ground to my kettle.
20190512_105024.jpg

Back