Copied Recipe retains links to old Brew Session

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
1. Start with an old recipe that has an attached Brew Session.
2. Update values to significantly change the recipe.
3. Decide to name it something else e.g. New Recipe and then save.
4. New recipe still has Old Brew session data at the bottom of the View and Print out. Why?

Yes I realise that making a copy of a recipe - then giving it a new name and saving it would probably break the links (I haven't tried it yet so I don't know) but that presupposes that you set out with intention of creating a new recipe.
I started out playing with a known recipe and then changed it significantly so I didn't want to over write the original and therefore lose it. So it had to be renamed. By changing the name from the original, the new recipe should not retain a brew session - since it is no longer what the brew session refers to?

Selecting COPY from the menu DOES break the link - previous Brew Sessions are not listed. It still begs the question how you are allowed to rename a recipe if you have a BS linked unless the Brew Session name is also updated with the new Recipe Name... Should it? If you don't print out a recipe as a record of it then you go on to alter values there is no going back if you then save it. User beware.

Selecting COPY from the menu DOES break the link - previous Brew Sessions are not listed. It still begs the question how you are allowed to rename a recipe if you have a BS linked unless the Brew Session name is also updated with the new Recipe Name... Should it? If you don't print out a recipe as a record of it then you go on to alter values there is no going back if you then save it. User beware.

You can't just change the name of the recipe when you edit it? That's what I do if I want to change the name.

You can't just change the name of the recipe when you edit it? That's what I do if I want to change the name.
Hi Lorena, yes you can but if you had a brew session against the original recipe name - say it was called Red Dog. When you edit Red Dog and change it's name - and save it to say Black Dog - you will have the Red Dog brew session as part of the data in the Black Dog recipe. It's only when you COPY from the menu Red Dog to create a new recipe, then call this copy Black Dog will you lose the brew session that was part of the original.
If you see what I mean?

Seems to be desirable behavior to me, as the brew session is part of the copied recipe's history as well as the original's. I've never paid attention to the behavior concerning brew sessions and copies but it seems to me as well that a copied recipe should keep the original brew sessions.

Seems to be desirable behavior to me, as the brew session is part of the copied recipe's history as well as the original's. I've never paid attention to the behavior concerning brew sessions and copies but it seems to me as well that a copied recipe should keep the original brew sessions.
I think you missed the point Nosybear. I was CHANGING the recipe then renaming it. The BS would refer to the old recipe not the new one. What would be the point of retaining information for something that bears no relation to the new recipe. I don't see it.

I do now... there is no NEW recipe if you just change the name... it's not like saving a document in Word etc. The name is just another field in the recipe. Forget all this I was talking bollocks.... I will now crawl back under my rock and have a beer.

Last edited:
I will now crawl back under my rock and have a beer.

Enjoy the beer- but please don't crawl away. We really appreciate all of the thoughts and ideas you bring to Brewer's Friend! I often answer these with a critical sound perhaps, and I don't mean to. I'm just trying to ensure that I totally understand the ask, and the desired outcome.

... Forget all this I was talking bollocks.... I will now crawl back under my rock and have a beer.

I'm in a phase where all I'm doing is web development. You're not alone. I've done this multiple times in the last few projects and the customers do the same thing from time to time.

Back