Adding treacle to a brew in a Robobrew

mad4ipa

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
First post here.
Planning to do a Theakstons Old Peculiar clone (from Masham, UK) very soon. Used to love this beer when I lived in the UK.

The recipe I have asks for both 10 oz of Golden and 5 oz of black treacle (15 mins).
As this is a thick sugary syrup should I blend/dilute/thin it with some boiling water before Adding to the boil? Or will this alter it's flavour?

Many thanks,
Neil

Hi All,
First post here.
Planning to do a Theakstons Old Peculiar clone (from Masham, UK) very soon. Used to love this beer when I lived in the UK.

The recipe I have asks for both 10 oz of Golden and 5 oz of black treacle (15 mins).
As this is a thick sugary syrup should I blend/dilute/thin it with some boiling water before Adding to the boil? Or will this alter it's flavour?

Many thanks,
Neil
It won't hurt the flavor at all. In fact, it's a pretty good practice because both are very thick and sticky.

If you're diluting the syrup, you're adding water to your boil, defeating the intent of concentrating the sugars.
When I need to add any extracts or syrups, I'll warm the container in the microwave or in hot water so that the liquid will pour more easily and then I'll dip some of the hot wort back into the empty container (carefully to avoid burning my hand) and use that to get the last of the sticky liquid out.

Putting a tin of treacle in the microwave is NOT a good idea...

Putting a tin of treacle in the microwave is NOT a good idea...
I'd assume that is why JA wrote "container" and not "tin" :D
That being said, I was mighty shocked a while back, when I tried warming a glass jar of honey in the microwave...
Thought the glued on label was just paper. Turns out, it was imprinted with some sort of metal! :eek:

run off some hot wort and use that to dilute the syrups.
Agreed Bob. Simple and no dilution. Works for sugar, dme, lme, molasses, etc. As always be careful with hot wort.

Back