Cascade pellets $5/lb.

BOB357

Trial Member
Reaction score
For anyone who didn't get the email, Hops Direct has 2017 crop Cascade pellets for $5/lb.

Reactions: J A
Only in America you say, pity...

I've never bought a pound of hops - is it practical to buy a pound when I'm just using a few ounces per batch?

I've never bought a pound of hops - is it practical to buy a pound when I'm just using a few ounces per batch?
As long as you can store them properly (you can look up hop storage on this and other forums, but basically in the freezer and away from oxygen) then they will last a long time. Even at just a few ozs per batch a pound can disappear rather quickly, and nothing beats the convenience and cost savings of buying hops by the pound.

As long as you can store them properly (you can look up hop storage on this and other forums, but basically in the freezer and away from oxygen) then they will last a long time. Even at just a few ozs per batch a pound can disappear rather quickly, and nothing beats the convenience and cost savings of buying hops by the pound.
Thanks!

Cascade is a very versatile hop, and that’s a good price. You could batch them into 2-4 oz packs with a vacuum packer.

Like Ben, I grow them. :) So the vacuum packer will be busy this fall.

If it's something you use a lot of, yes. I've gone back to one-ounce packages at LHBS, I know they're going through hops a lot faster than I am and that the hops are fresher.

If it's something you use a lot of, yes. I've gone back to one-ounce packages at LHBS, I know they're going through hops a lot faster than I am and that the hops are fresher.
That is a good point. If it is not a hop you are going to use a lot of you may well be better off buying by the oz and saving the bulk buys for your most used hops. I have kept hop pellets for 1 1/2 years with no loss of quality (vacuum sealed in mason jars in the freezer) but for anything I will be using for only a couple of brews a year I will usually buy on a per batch basis.

Glad to hear that someone has good results using Mason jars for long term storage. To err on the safe side, I've tried to use anything vacuum pack in jars within 2 or 3 months. I find the jars are so much easier to manage, and the savings on bags/rolls pays for the jars pretty quickly. Nice to be able to closely estimate the weight of hops remaining in a jar too, especially when I forget to update my inventory for a batch or two.

Mason jars have worked really well for me. Even before I could vacuum seal the jars they were my preferred method of hop storage. I would start with a full pound in a quart mason jar and as the level of hops went down I would switch to smaller jars to avoid excess dead space in the jars. My post in this thread explains how I vacuum seal the jars https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/vacuum-packed-hops.7787/#post-50425 which is easy to do and if like me you have the hand pump already the cost to do so is essentially $0

Back