Vacuum packed hops

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So if I vacuum pack all of my hops, do I need to keep them in the freezer or just keep them cold to preserve them for long time periods?

you want to keep them as dry as possible so no fridge, I keep mine in the freezer just because Ive had some bags seals break and its just second precaution but if truly air tight you could store them anywhere

I use a freezer too in my garage. Got it for free though and it's full of hops.

tqoh9TO.jpg

I love my vacuum bagger! :D
Yes... freezer.

That's an answer to the dilemma of temperature control we're talking about in another thread: Sometimes people will give a freezer or refrigerator away rather than having to move it or dispose of it. And yes, I love my vacuum bagger, too!

I use a freezer too in my garage. Got it for free though and it's full of hops.

tqoh9TO.jpg
Oh boy! Oh boy if i only woke up tomorrow to my freezer packed full of dank piney citrusy floral tropical fruit smelling flaverfull hops like that id take a week off work and be brewing from sun up to sun down. Makes my measly hop colletion look like a single 60 min addition compared to your whirlpool dry hop looking stash:D!

I see you do have a fair bit of leaf tucked in there too...

I think I may have posted this here before, but if not, this is how I vacuum seal mason jars for hop storage. The only thing I do different is I use proper mason jar lids and rings, and before screwing down the ring I place another unperforated lid on top of the perforated and taped one. I figure that if the tape seal fails, the seal on the second lid should maintain the vacuum. I already had all the stuff for this around the house, so this cost me a grand total of $0
http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/salad...k-salad-in-a-jar-for-less-than-6-plus-a-video

Oh boy! Oh boy if i only woke up tomorrow to my freezer packed full of dank piney citrusy floral tropical fruit smelling flaverfull hops like that id take a week off work and be brewing from sun up to sun down. Makes my measly hop colletion look like a single 60 min addition compared to your whirlpool dry hop looking stash:D!

I see you do have a fair bit of leaf tucked in there too...

I got a pound and a half of leaf in the fall during harvest. I'm not sure I care enough about it to deal with the hassle trying to use more than 30g of it causes (takes up a ton of space) but it's cool to have it.

Back