Anyone Entering the NHC?

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for three beers for the National Homebrew Competition - the Tex-Czechx Pilsner, my Kentucky Common and another TBD. Maybe my Piwo. Anyone else entering?

Thinking hard about it.
Not certain what I feel strongly about in terms of entries. I don't have much in the way of lagers already brewed. One that I think would do well is a dark lager that I've got just a few bottles of. I had planned to send off a couple to the Bluebonnet Brew-off but may have to consider commiting them all to the NHC. I have a Pre-Pro lager/American Pilsner that's quite good but I'm not confident that it's perfectly to style in terms of flavor profile due to using WLP 810 yeast.
I've got a lot of beer on hand for an upcoming party but anything hoppy would be faded by entry time. Since I can't brew again until Feb 9th, I'd only have 4 weeks to knock out much something before the shipping deadline. That would mean a NEIPA, IPA or hazy Pale which are probably going to be the most crowded categories.

I put in for 4 entries. I haven't decided which beers to put in, I'm waiting for the results of the Mashout comp which is this weekend.

I usually do pretty well in round one, but finals are a bitch.

I registered to enter 3 styles. American IPA, American pale ale and TBD.

I’ve debated after reading the email. Having never don’t any sort of comp before I’m tempted to do our state fair with the thought of doing other comps in future

I’ve debated after reading the email. Having never don’t any sort of comp before I’m tempted to do our state fair with the thought of doing other comps in future
It might be good to get a few under your belt, local comps are pretty fun. It will get you familiar with the rules and entry process and give you some confidence to try bigger comps.

Or you could just go for it and win homebrewer of the year!

Entering a local competition by a local craft brewery next month, should be fun. Bottled my black IPA for this. I am in Canada, does NHC accepts international entries?

If you're an AHA member. I just bought the stuff for my Kentucky Common.

I've never tried shipping cross border, never occurred to me to try and enter a US competition.

I've never tried shipping cross border, never occurred to me to try and enter a US competition.
I know people from all over the world ship their entries in to the US, but I don't know how they get it through customs. There may be a "test" or '"sample" exemption in US customs, but, as far as I know, it is illegal to ship alcohol into the US without the proper licenses.

I guess that's why we are the land of the free.

Rules and regulations and governments making money through taxation I spose.
Our little local comps comming up looking forward to this competition again.

Update - I got all three entries accepted. Two of them are brewed....

Got 3 entries. Submitting a British Golden Ale, Belgian Blond and a Weissbier.

I got one as well, my Piwo Grodziskie.

Ooooh, I hope I can get to try that one. Bringing it to Providence? I'm not sure if I can judge or not, as I will be working at the Brewer's Friend booth on Thursday, speaking on Friday morning, etc, and I'm pretty sure that BF needs my presence more than the NHC final round. I will be there for the awards on Saturday though- maybe I can cheer for you!

Back