But, seriously...Why?? (inventory items)

Not for me; still have to go to inventory to use my custom created fermentables. It is what it is and guess I'll have to get used to doing it this way from now on.

Not for me; still have to go to inventory to use my custom created fermentables.
It may be that all the boxes I checked to share ingredients finally caught up...I'll have to check to see if everything on my list is coming up. Maybe I'll put in a new test item that I can track to see what's going on.

Yeah...checked to see whether all inventory items showed up as before and, no...I had gone through and toggled the contribute function on most everything so that must be what's showing up. Unless it's shared with the main fermentables list and one of the admins or coders adds it into the data base, it's still stranded.
Well, it's better than nothing, I guess. There's still hope that the Beta will go live at some point and fix some of the mess.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It may be that all the boxes I checked to share ingredients finally caught up...I'll have to check to see if everything on my list is coming up. Maybe I'll put in a new test item that I can track to see what's going on.

Yeah...checked to see whether all inventory items showed up as before and, no...I had gone through and toggled the contribute function on most everything so that must be what's showing up. Unless it's shared with the main fermentables list and one of the admins or coders adds it into the data base, it's still stranded.
Well, it's better than nothing, I guess. There's still hope that the Beta will go live at some point and fix some of the mess.:rolleyes:

John, I'm not understanding what you are saying here. You don't have the things you added? Or you do? I'm confused and want to be sure that I get the issue straight.

John, I'm not understanding what you are saying here. You don't have the things you added? Or you do? I'm confused and want to be sure that I get the issue straight.
The things in my inventory that I set up to contribute to the fermentables show up in the fermentables drop down. And those items appear as regular fermentables without all the superfluous custom fermentables information clogging the space in the recipe calculator and sort as they're supposed to just like regular fermentables.They didn't for the longest time even though I toggled and toggled several weeks ago.
There are items in my inventory that don't show up in the fermentables drop-down and those are ones that I haven't toggled to contribute.
Before all this, inventory items, including custom fermentables appeared in the drop down without doing anything. I was thinking that the Beta version had gone back to this way of doing things, but it's not the case...anything that doesn't eventually find it's way into the global fermentables list with the contribute function toggled still has to be dealt with as a custom fermentable through the special inventory button on the recipe editor.
No problem. That's just the way it is now and if the contributed fermentables in my inventory are actually showing up in the drop-down, I can live with that. It just looks like it takes a long time between activating the contribute function on an inventory item and having it show up in the drop-down.
It seems workable and functional at this point.
Thanks. ;)

The things in my inventory that I set up to contribute to the fermentables show up in the fermentables drop down. And those items appear as regular fermentables without all the superfluous custom fermentables information clogging the space in the recipe calculator and sort as they're supposed to just like regular fermentables.They didn't for the longest time even though I toggled and toggled several weeks ago.
There are items in my inventory that don't show up in the fermentables drop-down and those are ones that I haven't toggled to contribute.
Before all this, inventory items, including custom fermentables appeared in the drop down without doing anything. I was thinking that the Beta version had gone back to this way of doing things, but it's not the case...anything that doesn't eventually find it's way into the global fermentables list with the contribute function toggled still has to be dealt with as a custom fermentable through the special inventory button on the recipe editor.
No problem. That's just the way it is now and if the contributed fermentables in my inventory are actually showing up in the drop-down, I can live with that. It just looks like it takes a long time between activating the contribute function on an inventory item and having it show up in the drop-down.
It seems workable and functional at this point.
Thanks. ;)

For me, it's working as expected (yay!) so I can't recreate what you are experiencing. Let's tag @avantassel because your explanation is clear and concise, and he may be better able to see what's going on and comment on the behavior in your case, ok?

For me, it's working as expected (yay!) so I can't recreate what you are experiencing.
Here's an example...I've got my local malts from Blacklands in my inventory (entered as Custom Fermentables). They didn't show up in the regular fermentables drop-down until quite some time after I toggled the contribute function but now they do.
One of the Blacklands malts, Silver Star, doesn't show up in the fermentables and I'm assuming that I didn't toggle the contribute function. If I want to add that to a recipe, it can be accessed through the inventory button and shows up as a custom fermentable with the full info (still wish that could just go away) and it doesn't sort with the rest of the fermentables.
Try adding a custom fermentable to your inventory and then try to put it into a recipe and you'll see what I mean.

I've just toggled the contribute function on that Silver Star malt and I'll monitor whether and when it shows up in the regular fermentables drop-down.

Is something possibly wrong with the toggle button? I turn it on before I "Submit" but then when I go back in it is toggled off again. There is no mechanism to let us know if it truly has been submitted or where it is in the process. Considering none of mine are on the fermentable list (and I've toggled them all to be shared at some point) it would seem something in this process is broken whether it's actually being submitted or just not approved to be put on the master list. Hopefully this can be resolved because having to call them down off the custom list in the Recipe Editor looks stupid and puts a lot of information on the page that doesn't need to be there that sure as heck wasn't there before the software was "upgraded".

Reactions: J A
Is something possibly wrong with the toggle button? I turn it on before I "Submit" but then when I go back in it is toggled off again.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. I had given up on them actually being on the list, but then they seem to have appeared after some time had passed.

Update...I toggled one on this afternoon that hadn't been on the list and now it seems to come up on the list. Much sooner than all the others seem to have done. Progress, I suppose, ;)
@Yooper

I now seem to have multiples of the same malt in the drop down. Also, the malts don't show up for inventory deduction in the brew session unless they're pulled from the inventory button, not the drop down list.
Whatever...I'm over caring about it. :rolleyes:
I'll just expect the quirks and glitches to keep on coming and maybe it'll settle into something that I can figure out.

My custom malt that I "submitted" yesterday is not on the list. I'm with J A and will just have to get used to working with it as it currently functions; but it's still a damn shame the functionality has been shit all over.

My custom malt that I "submitted" yesterday is not on the list. I'm with J A and will just have to get used to working with it as it currently functions; but it's still a damn shame the functionality has been shit all over.

I really need to dig more into this- Tom can you give me specifics, and especially if you could link to the recipe so I can see for myself what to put in the support ticket. I know this sucks for you, and I apologize for that. I really want to make it right ASAP.

I now seem to have multiples of the same malt in the drop down. Also, the malts don't show up for inventory deduction in the brew session unless they're pulled from the inventory button, not the drop down list.
Whatever...I'm over caring about it. :rolleyes:
I'll just expect the quirks and glitches to keep on coming and maybe it'll settle into something that I can figure out.

I want to make sure this is on the list of priorities to get right. Can you give me some specifics (screenshots would be great), or a link to the recipe(s) so I can see for myself what's happening? I spoke to the developers and site owner about this, and we definitely know that this is unacceptable. Once we have some visuals to dig into, we want to fix it once and for all.

I appreciate your patience and helpfulness as we grow through this.

@J A and @Brewmaster Tom

We have some of the fixes in beta-
We have some updates ready and highlighting a few here for testing. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated by 4/16.

Changed
  • Recipe Builder - Moved inventory items to main ingredient dropdowns. Inventory items will appear at the top of the ingredient dropdown ending with the amount. You can now search for them and more easily use them in recipes.
Added

I'm hoping this inventory change will be better for so many. Please let me know what you guys experience.

Recipe Builder - Moved inventory items to main ingredient dropdowns. Inventory items will appear at the top of the ingredient dropdown ending with the amount. You can now search for them and more easily use them in recipes.
What appears to have happened is that there are now 2 solutions to the problem of including inventory items. In Beta I now have duplicates of items held in inventory and then those items appear below that in regular drop-down. For my own personal preferences, my inventory doesn't need to appear in the global malt list, just mine. The inventory section at the top of the list covers that (sort of like it used to be). Now that they've been contributed, can they be un-contributed?
As for the duplicate entries on some inventory items, that's a mystery. I didn't check to see whether either or both duplicates would be deducted in the brew function. I'll try to include a screen shot here...I still can never get pics from Dropbox to work.
Nope... here's a link
BF inventory list.jpg (file://USER1-PC/Users/user%201/Dropbox/Public/BF%20inventory%20list.jpg)

I have looked at the beta and it is now working how I would hope it would work. The very top of my fermentables list is being pulled from my inventory and any changes I make to them seem almost instantaneous. Lock that like this and never ever ever ever ever ever change it again; this is functionality!

What appears to have happened is that there are now 2 solutions to the problem of including inventory items. In Beta I now have duplicates of items held in inventory and then those items appear below that in regular drop-down. For my own personal preferences, my inventory doesn't need to appear in the global malt list, just mine. The inventory section at the top of the list covers that (sort of like it used to be). Now that they've been contributed, can they be un-contributed?
As for the duplicate entries on some inventory items, that's a mystery. I didn't check to see whether either or both duplicates would be deducted in the brew function. I'll try to include a screen shot here...I still can never get pics from Dropbox to work.
Nope... here's a link
BF inventory list.jpg (file://USER1-PC/Users/user%201/Dropbox/Public/BF%20inventory%20list.jpg)

I can't get that link to work- can you do a screenshot from snips/paint/etc?

upload_2019-4-11_14-26-47.jpeg

Duh...I've been trying to upload every photo with the URl since that seemed to be the only option.
And the format seems to hate Dropbox.
@Yooper

Last edited:

Back